Re: [Slovak-World] SLOVAK HERITAGE

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 30, 2012
      Barbara,

      It is sad and the same thing is occurring in Slovakia.  In "My Town", Kúty, Zahorie, Western Slovakia

      In January, I received emails from two men, Richard Drs~ka Drrrsh-kah] and Filip Hus~t'ava [Huhshtya-vah], requesting Photos of original kroje and other historical info from our immegrants here in Johnstown, NY.  Their intention is to preserve them, locally in a yet to be built museum.  Richard is employed in the Zahorie muzeum in Skalica [Skahlee-tsah].  They are working with people from Moravia who are expert in Kroje making and preservation.

      On Thursday, I was reading news from our kuty.sk site and saw that Filip has scheduled a gathering of youth, to teach our traditional Polka and Waltz waltz.  He wants them to be prepared for dancing during our Hody [Hoh-dee] the yearly celebration of the consecration of our church, (ST. Josephs), held on the weekend closest to the feast of Our Lady of Snows, (Panenka Maria Sniez~u) (August 5th).

      I hope that this preservation work will occur in communities all over Slovakia, preserving our beautiful cultural heritage.

      Barbara, you are to be commended for your contributions and I would suggest you let the kids know how hurt your feelings are.

      S Panem Bohom,

      Vilo

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2012
        Vilo,Have the two men been in contact with UL'UV? If I'm not mistaken, they planned to do a survey and document all the kroje in the country. About 30 years ago, I was allowed to take photos of the drawings they'd made of the traditional kroje in my two ancestral villages (women's warm weather everyday, men's wintertime overcoats, etc.). I don't know if they ever published the materials as a book or series of books, but maybe they could see the original materials. H
        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
        From: senzus@...
        Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:32:21 -0700
        Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] SLOVAK HERITAGE

        Barbara,

        It is sad and the same thing is occurring in Slovakia. In "My Town", K�ty, Zahorie, Western Slovakia

[...]

      • Inez Giles
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2012
          Helen, hi, interesting you mention ULUV. During a meeting two weeks
          ago, the ULUV museum director shared there was a KROJE exhibit at the
          Myjava folk festival. Ever the mad kroje person, I made arrangements
          to visit the festival and saw not an exhibit of kroje but rather the
          exhibit of kroje pictures ULUV has compiled. Of course I was a bit
          disappointed but the pictures were still very interesting. I think
          these might be the kroje documentation to which you referred?

          I think ULUV has the photos assembled. I just cannot find any record
          they have published them. If you have additional questions, contact
          Dr. Zorka Wagner. She’s the ULUV librarian. She can be reached at
          library@... - Inez

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2012
            Helen,

            Thanks, I forwarded all messages and I gave them your name and email. address.  The message is very long but if you want a copy, I will send.Helen thanks again for your input.

            S Panem Bohem,

            Vilo

            ________________________________
            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

[...]

          • Matchett
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1, 2012
              Barbara, I think you should write down all you know of your Slovak parents/grandparents, where they came from, and any stories that have been passed on to you. Include recipes of Slovak food, and any photos or documents of your Slovak ancestors. Your children might not be interested right now, but I'll bet at least one of them will wish they had, after your gone. I don't know how old you are, but I'm starting to feel my age and I occasionally write some stories of my own, growing up with Slovak parents.

              I started "interviewing" my mother a year before she passed away and have many stories of her childhood until she came to America at age 19. They are going into a small book that I'll have printed and spiral bound. I wish I'd done that when my father was alive. Julia Matchett

              On Jun 30, 2012, at 5:48 PM, Barbara wrote:

              > All my ancestors are from Slovakia,I am second and third generation american. I have 4 sisters we do live far apart. I have 6 grown children. We grew up with Christmas and Easter Slovak traditions and food alike through out the year. I have raised my children with the traditions and the food in which I still make today. I have never been to Slovakia finances set me back from going.But I love to draw and have drawn many a scenery from pictures of Slovakia. I also listen to Slovak folk music and do much embroidery.I even made an heirloom wallhanging of the villages and pictures of the ancestors. My next attempt is to try Pysanky eggs. I have taught my daughters to cook,sew,other various crafts, housekeep,garden. I do have many documents of my ancestors including a 1857 book in the Czech language "Life of Jesus Christ" that my great grandfather brought here. What bothers me is that none of my children are interested in our heritage as well as my sisters. And I live here in rural Kentucky so not too many people care either.Can anyone give me some suggestions. I love my heritage and I think it is important it has such a beautiful culture and I am afraid that it is dying out in this family.

            • Barbara Kantor
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 2, 2012
                Thank you so much for helping me. I will take your suggestions.

                ________________________________
                Barbara,  I think you should write down all you know of your Slovak parents/grandparents, where they came from, and any stories that have been passed on to you.  Include recipes of Slovak food, and any photos or documents of your Slovak ancestors.  Your children might not be interested right now, but I'll bet at least one of them will wish they had, after your gone.  I don't know how old you are, but I'm starting to feel my age and I occasionally write some stories of my own, growing up with Slovak parents.

                I started "interviewing" my mother a year before she passed away and have many stories of her childhood until she came to America at age 19.  They are going into a small book that I'll have printed and spiral bound.  I wish I'd done that when my father was alive.  Julia Matchett

                On Jun 30, 2012, at 5:48 PM, Barbara wrote:

                > All my ancestors are from Slovakia,I am second and third generation american. I have 4 sisters we do live far apart. I have 6 grown children. We grew up with Christmas and Easter Slovak traditions and food alike through out the year. I have raised my children with the traditions and the food in which I still make today. I have never been to Slovakia finances set me back from going.But I love to draw and have drawn many a scenery from pictures of Slovakia. I also listen to Slovak folk music and do much embroidery.I even made an heirloom wallhanging of the villages and pictures of the ancestors. My next attempt is to try Pysanky eggs. I have taught my daughters to cook,sew,other various crafts, housekeep,garden. I do have many documents of my ancestors including a 1857 book in the Czech language "Life of Jesus Christ" that my great grandfather brought here. What bothers me is that none of my children are interested in our heritage as well as my sisters.
                And I live here in rural Kentucky so not too many people care either.Can anyone give me some suggestions. I love my heritage and I think it is important it has such a beautiful culture and I am afraid that it is dying out in this family.

              • Ben Sorensen
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 2, 2012
                  Barbara, do you speak any Slovak? If you do, it is easier to find CD's, books, and videos on youTube that might inspire them. :-) Everything from _Pacho, Hybsky zbojnik_ to the Matko/Kubko series are delightful, funny, and would help you out.

                  There is more to Slovakia than knitting, fujara, and kroj. It is more than food. The stories, the songs, and an understanding of the national heroes can only bolster their love for the old country.

                  Ben

                  ________________________________

                • sichva@junction.net
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 2, 2012
                    Barbara;

                    I liked Julia's suggestions, too. My Slovak grandparents were both dead by the time I was 5 years old so I didn't have the opportunity to find out anything first hand from either of them. Some of my siblings got little snippets of stories but nothing was ever put together in one place that we could refer back to. It would have been a wonderful resource for our generation. Especially now, when I am planning to travel to Slovakia.

                    I suspect your family will appreciate it in the future - if not right now.

                    Shelly

                    Thank you so much for helping me. I will take your suggestions.

                    ________________________________
                    Barbara, I think you should write down all you know of your Slovak parents/grandparents, where they came from, and any stories that have been passed on to you. Include recipes of Slovak food, and any photos or documents of your Slovak ancestors. Your children might not be interested right now, but I'll bet at least one of them will wish they had, after your gone. I don't know how old you are, but I'm starting to feel my age and I occasionally write some stories of my own, growing up with Slovak parents.

                    I started "interviewing" my mother a year before she passed away and have many stories of her childhood until she came to America at age 19. They are going into a small book that I'll have printed and spiral bound. I wish I'd done that when my father was alive. Julia Matchett

                    On Jun 30, 2012, at 5:48 PM, Barbara wrote:

                    > All my ancestors are from Slovakia,I am second and third generation american. I have 4 sisters we do live far apart. I have 6 grown children. We grew up with Christmas and Easter Slovak traditions and food alike through out the year. I have raised my children with the traditions and the food in which I still make today. I have never been to Slovakia finances set me back from going.But I love to draw and have drawn many a scenery from pictures of Slovakia. I also listen to Slovak folk music and do much embroidery.I even made an heirloom wallhanging of the villages and pictures of the ancestors. My next attempt is to try Pysanky eggs. I have taught my daughters to cook,sew,other various crafts, housekeep,garden. I do have many documents of my ancestors including a 1857 book in the Czech language "Life of Jesus Christ" that my great grandfather brought here. What bothers me is that none of my children are interested in our heritage as well as my sisters.
                    And I live here in rural Kentucky so not too many people care either.Can anyone give me some suggestions. I love my heritage and I think it is important it has such a beautiful culture and I am afraid that it is dying out in this family.

                    No virus found in this message.

                  • Douglas Brough
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 3, 2012
                      All,

                      I share the idea about writing down the memories. I for one would be interested in reading it. Im also interested in how your grandparents lived with the ethnic-German and Hungarian populations. What problems did they face? Were friendships strained during the war years? Were they glad to see them gone considering them as warmongers or did they consider them innocent of any crime etc etc etc.

                      Take Care

                      Douglas

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 3, 2012
                        Ahoj Vilo,I just hope it pans out for your friends.

                        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 3, 2012
                          Helena,

                          Diki Vam!

                          S Panem Bohom,

                          Vilo

                          ________________________________
                          Ahoj Vilo,I just hope it pans out for your friends.

                          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 4, 2012
                            Below is todays article in the Kúty News article concerning the subject.

                            http://kuty.sk/

                            Vilo

                            ________________________________
                            Ahoj Vilo,I just hope it pans out for your friends.

                            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                            message have been removed]

                          • William C. Wormuth
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 4, 2012
                              Background for this topic:

                               SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                              Wednesday, July 4, 2012 6:47 PMVilo, I changed the topic to 'German Mahren' in case you didn't see it.
                              It's questionable if name etymology is off-topic. But if you do move it to
                              SW then let me know.

                              Peter M.

                              On 5 July 2012 08:39, William C. Wormuth <senzus@...> wrote:

                               Ron,

                              I would like to further argue but on Slovak World because itt is rather

                              off Roots.

                              Awe c'mon!, it's fun an' intrestin'. Besides, Martin might get in to it..

                              Z Bohom,

                              Vilo

                              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 4, 2012
                                > Morava and Mähren and Moravia
                                > translations of one another.

                                Old Slavs used the word _morava_ or its plural _moravy_ to indicate marsh(es). In those days, they pronounced the modern [v] as [w]. The neighboring Germanic tribes missed the [w] and adopted the place name name as Ma"hren, it eventually gave name to the whole Margraviate of Moravia. Several small, historically marshy localities scattered in the Slavic countries are called that, not just the two better known rivers.

                                The loss of the Old Slavic [w] when a place name was adopted into a neighboring non-Slavic language happened with some regularity.

                                ----- E.g., Pankow (originally a Slavic place name), an elegant borough of the former communist-ruled part of Berlin, is pronounced [panko] by Berliners, not [pankof] as one might expect.

                                ----- Liptov (pronounced [liptow] then by the Slovaks' ancestors) was adopted as Lipto by the Ugric tribes when they arrived around 900 CE; Novohrad, originally Nov Grad ("New Castle") became Nograd in Hungarian, etc.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                  What struck me about the name Marchevka is that, in the Zemplin dialect (one of the eastern ones, as is the Spis~ dialect), it means 'carrot'.

                                  To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                                  To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                                  To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                    > What struck me about the name Marchevka is that,
                                    > in the Zemplin dialect (one of the eastern ones, as
                                    > is the Spis~ dialect), it means 'carrot'.

                                    That's what it is in Polish, too (marchew/marchewka). Both marchevka and mrkva, as well as the (north and east) German Mo"hre (earlier also Morke/Mokra), are linked to an old word for "root." The word used in the sense of "carrot" probably went from Germanic to Slavic (the -v- was added in Slavic declensions and eventually migrated to the nominative).

                                    Martin
                                  • Peter M
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                      Well that's fascinating and very significant to the work I'm doing.
                                      So Marchevka (root meaning 'root') has been otherwise spelt as Marhefka, which I assumed to be of German origin from Mähren. If Marhefka means something else, then I'd be interested in that very much.

                                      Thanks

                                      Peter M.

                                      > > What struck me about the name Marchevka is that,
                                      > > in the Zemplin dialect (one of the eastern ones, as
                                      > > is the Spis~ dialect), it means 'carrot'.
                                      >
                                      > That's what it is in Polish, too (marchew/marchewka). Both marchevka and mrkva, as well as the (north and east) German Mo"hre (earlier also Morke/Mokra), are linked to an old word for "root." The word used in the sense of "carrot" probably went from Germanic to Slavic (the -v- was added in Slavic declensions and eventually migrated to the nominative).
                                      >

                                      > Martin

                                    • votrubam
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                                        > Marhefka, which I assumed to be of German origin from Mähren.

                                        Impossible; no historical or linguistic grounds for "assuming" that. It is a Polish and East-Slovak word for "carrot" (it may also occur as a regional word elsewhere in the Slavic-speaking area). The meaning "root" was only present in old-Old German, and had already shifted to "carrot" by the Middle German period, but German never had the -v- in it -- that was inserted after the word entered the Slavic languages. The family name Marhefka means "carrot" and is Slavic in origin.

                                        Martin
                                      • Peter M
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                                          Thanks Martin. I'm happy that's been cleared up.
                                          Peter M.