Re: [Slovak-World] Harsh treatment of children

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 2, 2003
      My cousins swear (although I never personally saw this myself) that their mother would get so angry she'd make them kneel on kosher salt. Caye

      "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:I was smacked by my mother any time I needed it. Once, I "ducked" and my friend, standing directly behind me, got it "square in the face". Ma had to go across the Street to apologize.

      My grandfather made his children kneel on the edge of a board for a period if time, when they were misbehaving.

      Vilo

    • Jan Lan
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 3, 2003
        At 10:57 AM 6/2/2003 -0700, you wrote:
        >On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 BJLK@... wrote:
        >

        > > There are probably as many as there are parents who can invent creative
        > > punishments. I was given wood chunks to kneel on (the kind that are
        > roughly
        > > chopped for the fireplace or furnace with lots of splinters). I'm a little
        > > surprised to see that "painful kneeling" seems to be more a common
        > experience than I
        > > ever imagined. Is this a downside of being brought up Slovak?
        > >
        > > B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)
        >
        >Sounds like a downside of being brought up Catholic. :)

        More like an attempt to assert dominance. The alpha wolf thing.

        Janko