Re: [Slovak-World] Re: 1949

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
      Vilo

       Of course you are right.

        I should have made the distinction that it was mostly the J ews that had to flee for their lives in the 30s and early 40s. I was over generalizing saying "people". I was just trying to make the point that both [and other] regimes used the tactic of discouraging escape , or in the case of the Jews; helping them escape or hiding them, by threatening to retaliate against your family members.

       It is very effective.

       I've heard stories about how savagely brutal the "liberating" Russian armies were, but what happened to your cousin's gramma is unimagineable. The history of our people is all about suffering and hardship.....and kids today think they're deprived  if they don't have designer jeans or an i-phone.

       Larry

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
        Larry,

        I also generalize most have different stories.

        When first there Jeans were called Riflw {Rreefleh].  Now they have caught up and they are Dz~indzi [Jeen-zee].

        Yea, I am happy for the modern Slovaks except for them using drugs and not going to Mass.

        To damned much materialism!  There and Here.

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
          May your Gram rest in peace, Vilko.  That is no way to go.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
            What happened to them Vilo?  Did they go back or remain here?

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
              LJW,

              Just as in the USA and Canada,, some returned and some remained.  I do know that there is a sizable Slovak population in Argentina.

              Since the fall of communism, many who ran away, have returned to retire.

              Z Bohom,

              Vilo