Re: [Slovak-World] Harsh treatment of children-apology

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
      To reply to a couple of posts:

      Claudia wrote:
      >Looks like I put my foot in my mouth again!

      I took exception, but I didn't take offense or take it personally.

      Caye wrote:
      >I suffered not only "assholism" (as I personally like to refer to the
      >disorder) but physical and mental abuse at home -- and yes, ALL from my
      >mother -- dad's fault was his inability to stop the cycle and quit his
      >enabling. Took lots of counseling to realize I'm not the only one. At
      >least with knowledge, we've got the ability (will we use it?) to stop.

      One of the best books I've recently read is _The Complete ACOA Sourcebook_
      by Janet Geringer Woititz. (ACOA is Adult Children of Alcoholics.) It
      explained a lot of behaviors I've encountered over the years! Also, much
      of the information is applicable to various dysfunctional family
      situations, not just alcoholism. Even though I'm not from an alcoholic
      family, I found the book very useful and enlightening; I recommend that
      anyone/everyone read it.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...