Re: Harsh treatment of children

  • Michelle A Mader
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 2, 2003
      Claudia wrote:

      >But in America today it is against the law to strike your child in any way.

      This is not true.

      >Parents can have their children taken away by the government if there is
      >any report of "abuse". Teachers have lost their jobs for even the hint of
      >that. Which is why teaching is really losing allot teachers. Children in
      >big city schools in the US, usually the poorest of children, carry guns
      >and knives and there is a raging drug and gang problem. Their entire lives
      >are surrounded by violence and the teachers have no recourse to defend
      >themselves in the class room or even keep order. We should have
      >ex-military not sweet little old ladies teaching in our inner city schools!

      This depends a great deal on where you live but it is not true for the
      majority of the U.S.

      >As to my own generation, I think with both parents working full time and
      >maybe 40-60 hours a week (normal in Detroit-land!) discipline is either
      >from day-care workers or sports programs at school. They are lucky to see
      >their grandparents on holidays, families are so pressed for time.

      Don't agree with this, either. Both of my parents worked full time and we
      were disciplined by our parents. In return,
      both of my children have been disciplines by my dh and I, even though we
      have always worked full time. Kids are in day care
      for approx. 9 hrs. a day and in school for 6 hrs. a day. Do you also claim
      that all school children receive their disciple
      from the teacher and not the parent?

      Michelle Maco Mader
      Cleveland, Ohio USA
      "I have never let my schooling interfere
      with my education." - Mark Twain
    • Jan Lan
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 3, 2003
        At 10:57 AM 6/2/2003 -0700, you wrote:
        >On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 BJLK@... wrote:
        >

        > > There are probably as many as there are parents who can invent creative
        > > punishments. I was given wood chunks to kneel on (the kind that are
        > roughly
        > > chopped for the fireplace or furnace with lots of splinters). I'm a little
        > > surprised to see that "painful kneeling" seems to be more a common
        > experience than I
        > > ever imagined. Is this a downside of being brought up Slovak?
        > >
        > > B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)
        >
        >Sounds like a downside of being brought up Catholic. :)

        More like an attempt to assert dominance. The alpha wolf thing.

        Janko