Boston-area seminar: ethnicity & genealogy

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2012
      Those of you in the New England area will be interested in a day-long genealogy seminar offered by the Massachusetts Genealogical Council (MGC) in Waltham, Massachusetts, on July 21.

      The theme of the seminar this year is Ethnicity and Genealogy, and with six different tracks in four time slots there are choices to entice everyone. Ethnic groups and nationalities discussed will include Irish, Scottish, Chinese, Punkapoag Indians, Armenian, and (waiting for confirmation on this one) Eastern European, and more. Other lectures cover important resources for genealogists: Fold3, Ancestry.com, and academic archives. Two workshops are being offered, one on advanced genealogical methods, and the other on Griffiths Valuation. Even though it's not specifically a Slovak genealogy seminar, there's plenty here to apply to our research!

      I've attended this seminar for the last three years, and always find it a wonderful opportunity to expand my knowledge of genealogy and inspire me to return to my tougher research problems (great-grandma Antonia, I'm talkin' about *you*!).

      There's much more detailed information about the Seminar, including speaker bios and descriptions of their talks, on the MGC website: go to http://www.massgencouncil.org/ and follow the Seminar links on the right. Register soon for the best price!

      Julie Michutka (full disclosure--I'm also secretary of MGC)
      jmm@...