Re: [Slovak-World] Mendicus

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2012
      Martin, Thanks for your explanation.

      During my 28 visits since 1971, The only "beggars", I ran across were alcoholics and Romi in the Hlavny Stanica, Bratislava.

      I visited many Cities but spent most of my time in small towns of Slovakia and Moravia never seeing a beggar on the streets.  I have known of many Old people who had no family to care for

       them and they were were cared for by neighbors and friends.

      In recent years, more and more towns and villages have started a "meals on wheels' program for the elderly.  This was to assure that elderly living lone will have prepared food available.  In these modern times families are no longer together, the young living in other areas and the elderly need some looking after.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2012
        > > deaths due to famine, during a particularly difficult
        > > time--and wondered how that happened

        I believe it was two years ago that the Poprad River valley flooded so badly. I visited later that summer and there was a total crop failure in
        some of the villages. It is easy to imagine that 100 or 150 years ago that would have been a famine year with deaths and emigration to flee the famine.

        I also just learned that the same flood damaged the train track heading into Poland, so that for some time all reail traffic was routed through Medzilaborce and the Lupkow Tunnel. Having looked at that, if it were built today instead of 1875 I believe it would be a large cut in the mountain pass instead of a tunnel. Economics and economics of construction change with time, as we have seen in our own country.

        Ron
        PS. I will add my thanks for your comments, Martin