Re: [Slovak-World] pieniny

  • Lubos Brieda
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
      Patricia, I highly recommend the cave bath in Sklene Teplice, http://www.kupele-skleneteplice.sk/index.php?lang=2%c2%a0It's definitely a very unique experience.

      ________________________________
      From: pat Thomas <patcat87@...>
      To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, June 7, 2012 12:20 PM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] pieniny

      Edie, Margo and All;   thanks for more info on the spas.  Anyone else out there have any experience with Spas in Slovakia I'd really appreciate it.  I was told that they would be more cost effective than spas in neighboring countries, is that so?  (as I'm on a tight budget, lol!).
      Patricia

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
        I enjoyed looking at that blog of those wonderful places in Slovakia, some
        of which I visited two years ago. Brings tears to my eyes.

        I did not get to hike the Tatras but met a distant cousin in Liptovsky Mikulas who was going to do that over the summer while she was on break from college in London.

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
          On Slovak-Roots, there was a request for translation of the Latin word mendicus, found in church records.  It translates in dictionaries as beggar but I found in the Google translator it is alsopauper.

          Thebeggarterm, gave the wrong picture of our people during those hard times, making people believe that they did not help each other. especially in small villages and towns where everyone knew each other.  The only time I heard the story of beggars, it was about Romi, who often begged for food.

          I was wondering if anyone here has heard stories  about beggars>

          Z Bohom,

          Vilos

        • Plichta
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012
            Beggars are everywhere in Slovakia today.

            During my travels to Slovakia, I have seen numerous beggars kneeling on the
            sidewalks with their hand open in their laps begging for money. Under
            Slovak law they are not permitted to ask but may only indicate that they are
            begging by their outstretched hands.

            Frank

            _____

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012
              I should have told those annoying beggars and kids in BA that kept asking for money that there was a law against that.
              Usually those who are silently begging are almost prostrate, in what I would call "the sign of a mendicant." That prostrate, supported on elbows and knees, position I suspect has a long tradition and decidedly religious overtones. I bet Martin could shed light.

              Ben

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012
                I've seen one death entry in my grandparents' village (1800s) for an unnamed person, "mendicus ignotus," unknown beggar. I assume he was a wandering beggar, since he was unknown.

                I've also seen a number of deaths due to famine, during a particularly difficult time--and wondered how that happened. Were those who died out in a hamlet and no one knew of their desperate need? Were the snows too deep for anyone to get to them? Or.... what?

                Julie Michutka
                jmm@...

                On Jun 8, 2012, at 1:34 AM, William C. Wormuth wrote:

                > On Slovak-Roots, there was a request for translation of the Latin word mendicus, found in church records. It translates in dictionaries as beggar but I found in the Google translator it is alsopauper.
                >
                > Thebeggarterm, gave the wrong picture of our people during those hard times, making people believe that they did not help each other. especially in small villages and towns where everyone knew each other. The only time I heard the story of beggars, it was about Romi, who often begged for food.
                >
                > I was wondering if anyone here has heard stories about beggars>
              • Ron
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 10, 2012
                  Just hiked the Three Crowns today from Cerveny Klastor with two cousins. We were lucky and got down to enjoy a refreshing beer in Slovakia before it rained for a bit. It is a beautiful area and you should not hurry through.

                  On beggars I had an experience last Monday. I was headed to the Carpatians for hiking north of Medzilaborce, starting at the Lupkow railroad tunnel. Medzi and many places seem to have little public information on arrival. I chose a rainy day to travel hoping for better weather the following days for hiking. Well, at the bus stop I had a bus in minutes headed for the border. Little did I know the long way around is by road and the short way would be to hike the railroad tracks- the route I took back to SK.

                  There was a freindly piak mooch who really helped out and made sure I got off in the right direction. But that is another story. He tried to mooch cigarettes and some change, but I am not too generous with drinkers. What I did give him was well worth the advice and help he provided.

                  So there are good experiences as well.

                  Ron
                  leaving Tuesday after about weeks in SK.