Re: [Slovak-World] Cavalry Hill

  • marilyn murphy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2012
      We stayed in Presov two years ago and there was a Cavalry Hill.  we had a good view of it from our window.  There were large "stations" along a winding path that went up to a small chapel at the top of the hill.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2012
        I think you mean 'Calvary Hill'.

        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
        From: mjmurph99@...
        Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 19:26:27 -0700
        Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Cavalry Hill

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5, 2012
          I do, spelling not my strong suit ;)

          Sent from my iPhone

        • Kholka@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5, 2012
            There is one in my parents' village of Predajna located in the Horehronie
            region of central Slovakia. I believe it is called Kalvarska. The Roman
            Catholic chapel at the top was in disarray during the Communist years, but
            was rebuilt in the 90's.

            In a message dated 6/4/2012 9:07:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            htcstech@... writes:

            I read an old armchair tourist guide of Slovakia where the author visited
            an east-Slovakian village that had their own 'Cavalry Hill' away from their
            church. This was where 3 crosses and an outside altar was constructed to
            celebrate mass, saint's days etc.
            As far as I know, there was no such thing in the towns and villages around
            my district of Galanta.
            I'm curious to know if anyone here knows about this and if it is just a
            Greek Catholic tradition or a cultural tradition.

            Peter M.

          • Nick
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2012
              At 08:35 PM 5/06/2012, you wrote:

              >I think you mean 'Calvary Hill'.

              >Me too

              Regards
              Nick
            • Peter M
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6, 2012
                Oops.. My goof. I kept looking at it, thinking it was wrong and sent the post anyway. Thanks for the correction.

                Peter M.