Re: [Slovak-World] pieniny

  • Bobbi J. Town
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 4, 2012
      From: Bobbi Masaryk Town barbaraj10@...
      Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012
      Subject: Slovak World pieniny

      Just want to thank you for taking us on your journey. I enjoyed reading the text and seeing the photos. I would love to return to my parent's
      homeland but since my husband passed, I haven't done any international travel, sadly. We traveled every year and I miss it very much. At
      least I could enjoy it vicariously through your words and pictures. Again, thank you.

      Bobbi (Masaryk) Town

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 5, 2012
        What great pictures, Lubos! I hiked the Pieniny a couple times; they have a special place in my heart.

        Once in a clearing near the pass above the Sromowce villages, I met a woman who had a couple big milk cannisters of soda water she was selling to hikers. She had lugged them all the way up from the village below (OK, she said her son helped her!).

        Joe

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 5, 2012
          Thanks for the great pictures and stories!

          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
          From: armata@...
          Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 10:19:56 -0400
          Subject: RE: [Slovak-World] pieniny

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 5, 2012
            All,
            Has anybody any photos of the village of Muhlenbach which i believe is now called Mylincia. A very good friend grew up there.
            Thanks ion advance
            Douglas

            >________________________________

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 5, 2012
              Douglas,

              http://www.mlynica.sk/pamiatky.html

              https://www.google.com/search?q=Mlynica&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=LU3&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_IjOT5u8G4PI6gGW1bSwDA&ved=0CGgQsAQ&biw=1067&bih=452

              https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Mlynica&hl=en&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8

              ZBohom,

              Vilo

              ________________________________
              Has anybody any photos of the village of Muhlenbach which i believe is now called Mylincia. A very good friend grew up there.
              Thanks ion advance
              Douglas

              >________________________________

            • pat Thomas
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 5, 2012
                Hi Lubos;    Well, thanks for taking us on your journey to Slovakia through the great narrative and photos.   I then explored your webstie, the Slovak Cooking and also learned of the Slovak Meetup group in the DC area.  I live in Vienna and understand you are in Falls Church;  would absolutely LOVE to get together sometime though I know you are very busy!  Maybe even try out your great cooking as I don't cook much yet.
                    I am new to this group as well and really am enjoying reading everyone's notes and hoping to eventually meet some of the folks too!   My Mother was Slovak and she, my Aunts, my sister and myself all attended St. Cyril Academy in Danville, PA for Highschool, though I didn't take Slovak. Now, I wish I had!   The school was also known as the Slovak Girls Academy back in the day!
                    Well, I hope to someday plan a trip to Slovakia as soon as I'm feeling better and can afford it too.  Though with all those great spas maybe I should go and they could help me feel better.
                Blessings,
                Patty

                ________________________________
                Thanks for the great pictures and stories!
                To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                From: armata@...
                Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 10:19:56 -0400

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 6, 2012
                  Thanks everyone!

                  ________________________________
                  Thanks for the great pictures and stories!

                  To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                  From: armata@...
                  Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 10:19:56 -0400

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 6, 2012
                    Patty, the spas at Piestany and Turcianske Teplice are more medically oriented.  The food is good.  The water is fantastic.  I did not go for a medical reason, but felt lots better anyway.

                    Margo

                  • e.gernat@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 6, 2012
                      Hi I have stayed at the Piestany spa 5 times and theyare so wonderful. Try to stay about 3 weeks for those wonderful treatments. If you need any advice let me know. Edie

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
                        Edie, Margo and All;   thanks for more info on the spas.  Anyone else out there have any experience with Spas in Slovakia I'd really appreciate it.  I was told that they would be more cost effective than spas in neighboring countries, is that so?  (as I'm on a tight budget, lol!).
                        Patricia

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
                          Hi Pat When we went the last times we stayed at the Pro Patria where the locals stay about 1/ 2 of the Thermia Palace that has been up graded to a 5 star. The longer you stay the better the price. You can have 2 in a room and the second is less. When you get serious I can get you the e-mail or address to use. We also rented a car and that was nice They Bring the car to the airport and you drop it off there also. ra tes are reasonable for longer periods
                          Although it seems complicated it is well worth  it for the treatments.  We have been to Poland but did not get a reasonable rate for the 3 days and no English Doctor, like in Piestany. Edie

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
                            Patricia, I highly recommend the cave bath in Sklene Teplice, http://www.kupele-skleneteplice.sk/index.php?lang=2%c2%a0It's definitely a very unique experience.

                            ________________________________
                            Edie, Margo and All;   thanks for more info on the spas.  Anyone else out there have any experience with Spas in Slovakia I'd really appreciate it.  I was told that they would be more cost effective than spas in neighboring countries, is that so?  (as I'm on a tight budget, lol!).
                            Patricia

                            ________________________________
                            Hi I have stayed at the Piestany spa 5 times and theyare so wonderful. Try to stay about 3 weeks for those wonderful treatments. If you need any advice let me know. Edie

                            Patty, the spas at Piestany and Turcianske Teplice are more medically oriented.  The food is good.  The water is fantastic.  I did not go for a medical reason, but felt lots better anyway.

                            Margo

                            >________________________________

                          • Eve Smith
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
                              I enjoyed looking at that blog of those wonderful places in Slovakia, some
                              of which I visited two years ago. Brings tears to my eyes.

                              I did not get to hike the Tatras but met a distant cousin in Liptovsky Mikulas who was going to do that over the summer while she was on break from college in London.

                            • William C. Wormuth
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
                                On Slovak-Roots, there was a request for translation of the Latin word mendicus, found in church records.  It translates in dictionaries as beggar but I found in the Google translator it is alsopauper.

                                Thebeggarterm, gave the wrong picture of our people during those hard times, making people believe that they did not help each other. especially in small villages and towns where everyone knew each other.  The only time I heard the story of beggars, it was about Romi, who often begged for food.

                                I was wondering if anyone here has heard stories  about beggars>

                                Z Bohom,

                                Vilos

                              • Plichta
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012
                                  Beggars are everywhere in Slovakia today.

                                  During my travels to Slovakia, I have seen numerous beggars kneeling on the
                                  sidewalks with their hand open in their laps begging for money. Under
                                  Slovak law they are not permitted to ask but may only indicate that they are
                                  begging by their outstretched hands.

                                  Frank

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012
                                    I should have told those annoying beggars and kids in BA that kept asking for money that there was a law against that.
                                    Usually those who are silently begging are almost prostrate, in what I would call "the sign of a mendicant." That prostrate, supported on elbows and knees, position I suspect has a long tradition and decidedly religious overtones. I bet Martin could shed light.

                                    Ben

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012
                                      I've seen one death entry in my grandparents' village (1800s) for an unnamed person, "mendicus ignotus," unknown beggar. I assume he was a wandering beggar, since he was unknown.

                                      I've also seen a number of deaths due to famine, during a particularly difficult time--and wondered how that happened. Were those who died out in a hamlet and no one knew of their desperate need? Were the snows too deep for anyone to get to them? Or.... what?

                                      Julie Michutka
                                      jmm@...

                                      On Jun 8, 2012, at 1:34 AM, William C. Wormuth wrote:

                                      > On Slovak-Roots, there was a request for translation of the Latin word mendicus, found in church records. It translates in dictionaries as beggar but I found in the Google translator it is alsopauper.
                                      >
                                      > Thebeggarterm, gave the wrong picture of our people during those hard times, making people believe that they did not help each other. especially in small villages and towns where everyone knew each other. The only time I heard the story of beggars, it was about Romi, who often begged for food.
                                      >
                                      > I was wondering if anyone here has heard stories about beggars>
                                    • Ron
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 10, 2012
                                        Just hiked the Three Crowns today from Cerveny Klastor with two cousins. We were lucky and got down to enjoy a refreshing beer in Slovakia before it rained for a bit. It is a beautiful area and you should not hurry through.

                                        On beggars I had an experience last Monday. I was headed to the Carpatians for hiking north of Medzilaborce, starting at the Lupkow railroad tunnel. Medzi and many places seem to have little public information on arrival. I chose a rainy day to travel hoping for better weather the following days for hiking. Well, at the bus stop I had a bus in minutes headed for the border. Little did I know the long way around is by road and the short way would be to hike the railroad tracks- the route I took back to SK.

                                        There was a freindly piak mooch who really helped out and made sure I got off in the right direction. But that is another story. He tried to mooch cigarettes and some change, but I am not too generous with drinkers. What I did give him was well worth the advice and help he provided.

                                        So there are good experiences as well.

                                        Ron
                                        leaving Tuesday after about weeks in SK.