Re: [Slovak-World] Harsh treatment of children-apology

  • Claudia Medvik
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2003
      Looks like I put my foot in my mouth again!

      Julie's right, all behavior does depend on the individual.

      And I stupidly broke the rule on my own advice; never criticize another's way of raising their children. It is the closest to their own heart and something they feel very deeply. I can only admire greatly that they have the courage to try, and wonder how they can take on the challenge every day with so much devotion and sacrifice. There is nothing more important to any country than loving parents.

      Sorry again,

      Claudia

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
        To reply to a couple of posts:

        Claudia wrote:
        >Looks like I put my foot in my mouth again!

        I took exception, but I didn't take offense or take it personally.

        Caye wrote:
        >I suffered not only "assholism" (as I personally like to refer to the
        >disorder) but physical and mental abuse at home -- and yes, ALL from my
        >mother -- dad's fault was his inability to stop the cycle and quit his
        >enabling. Took lots of counseling to realize I'm not the only one. At
        >least with knowledge, we've got the ability (will we use it?) to stop.

        One of the best books I've recently read is _The Complete ACOA Sourcebook_
        by Janet Geringer Woititz. (ACOA is Adult Children of Alcoholics.) It
        explained a lot of behaviors I've encountered over the years! Also, much
        of the information is applicable to various dysfunctional family
        situations, not just alcoholism. Even though I'm not from an alcoholic
        family, I found the book very useful and enlightening; I recommend that
        anyone/everyone read it.

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...