Re: [Slovak-World] Harsh treatment of children

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 1, 2003
      >Sounds like you were out with an upper class lady who has someone else to
      >manage her kids for her. Rich people are never interested in their
      >children that much, and will tend to ignore what they can't control.

      Wow, now there's a sweeping generalization!!!

      While I don't live near the inner-city problems that you do, I do know
      people in the range of economic brackets from welfare/not making it on
      minimum wage all the way up to wealthy folks in mansions. There are
      horrible parents, disinterested parents, ok parents, and fabulous parents
      all across the board. I think we expect more from the rich folks (do we
      assume they're educated and should know better???). I know rich folks who
      leave their kids to the care of a nanny, and don't pay enough attention to
      them. I know poor folks who leave their kids to the care of a TV, and
      don't pay enough attention to them.

      I've heard people from all economic brackets speaking to their children in
      ways that chill my blood. And I believe you get great parents from all
      economic groups.

      I really have to take issue with "rich people are never interested in their
      children all that much"....I know too many who really are wonderful &
      caring parents.

      Sorry this is disjointed, it's been an exhausting week.

      Julie Michutka, solidly middle-class, trying hard to be a good parent
      jmm@...
    • Jan Lan
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 3, 2003
        At 10:57 AM 6/2/2003 -0700, you wrote:
        >On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 BJLK@... wrote:
        >

        > > There are probably as many as there are parents who can invent creative
        > > punishments. I was given wood chunks to kneel on (the kind that are
        > roughly
        > > chopped for the fireplace or furnace with lots of splinters). I'm a little
        > > surprised to see that "painful kneeling" seems to be more a common
        > experience than I
        > > ever imagined. Is this a downside of being brought up Slovak?
        > >
        > > B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)
        >
        >Sounds like a downside of being brought up Catholic. :)

        More like an attempt to assert dominance. The alpha wolf thing.

        Janko