Small World

  • William
    Message 1 of 15 , May 25, 2012
      I attended the Special Operations Forces International Conference in Tampa this past week as I have for the past several years. This year they had Special Forces people from 90 countries attending. I wondered if there were any from the Slovak Republic. At the gala dinner on Wednesday night, 3 men in uniform approached our table to ask if the empty seats were available. All 3 were from Slovakia! Two were Slovak Army Lieutenant Colonels (1 on the General Staff in Bratislava and the other the Chief of Staff of the 5th Special Forces Group). The third was a Slovak Air Force Colonel currently stationed at a NATO command in Norfolk, VA. Needless to say I had a great evening! What a small world.
      Bill
    • pat Thomas
      Message 2 of 15 , May 25, 2012
        Hi Bill;   That is amazing, so cool!   To meet other Slovaks at that event and one that is stationed nearby, (at least for me as I live in VA)!
              I am new to this group and am eager to learn more and perhaps meet others of Slovak heritage.   I attended St. Cyril Academy in Danville, PA  for high school as did my Mother and Aunts.   It is run by the Sisters of Ss. Cyril and Methodius;  most of whom are of Slovak heritage.   We are Slovak on my Mom's side but unfortunately she passed when I was young so I don't have much information on my personal heritage.  Her maiden name was Eva Marie Drozdek so if you or anyone has any ideas/info I'd greatly appreciate it.
            btw, I'm in the DC area;  where are you located?
        thanks so much;
        Patty

        Patricia A. Toler,  RN,  BSN
        Health and Wellness Consultant
        www.ptolerjuiceplus.com

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 15 , May 26, 2012
          Patricia,
          Welcome to SlovakWorld. I'll bet that you don't know that there's a Slovak-American group in the D.C. area (I'm the program chair). Check out our homepage at < www.dcslovaks.org >. We'd love to meet you and have you join us. There are plenty of former Pennsylvanians among us.

          Helen

          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

          I attended the Special Operations Forces International Conference in Tampa this past week as I have for the past several years. This year they had Special Forces people from 90 countries attending. I wondered if there were any from the Slovak Republic. At the gala dinner on Wednesday night, 3 men in uniform approached our table to ask if the empty seats were available. All 3 were from Slovakia! Two were Slovak Army Lieutenant Colonels (1 on the General Staff in Bratislava and the other the Chief of Staff of the 5th Special Forces Group). The third was a Slovak Air Force Colonel currently stationed at a NATO command in Norfolk, VA. Needless to say I had a great evening! What a small world.

          Bill

        • Karen
          Message 4 of 15 , May 26, 2012
            Hi Patty, Curious when you attended St. Cyril. My mother and aunt (Carol and MaryAnn Chmela) were there in the late 50's/early 60's and my mother stayed on as a novitiate for a couple years. When my aunt passed, I found a few photos of group shots from reunions as well as some wallet sized of her classmates. Maybe you're in some of them! -Karen

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, pat Thomas <patcat87@...> wrote:

            > Hi Bill;   That is amazing, so cool!   To meet other Slovaks at that event and one that is stationed nearby, (at least for me as I live in VA)!
            >       I am new to this group and am eager to learn more and perhaps meet others of Slovak heritage.   I attended St. Cyril Academy in Danville, PA  for high school as did my Mother and Aunts.   It is run by the Sisters of Ss. Cyril and Methodius;  most of whom are of Slovak heritage.   We are Slovak on my Mom's side but unfortunately she passed when I was young so I don't have much information on my personal heritage.  Her maiden name was Eva Marie Drozdek so if you or anyone has any ideas/info I'd greatly appreciate it.
            >     btw, I'm in the DC area;  where are you located?
            > thanks so much;
            > Patty
            >
            > Patricia A. Toler,  RN,  BSN
            > Health and Wellness Consultant
            > www.ptolerjuiceplus.com
            >

            > ________________________________

          • pat Thomas
            Message 5 of 15 , May 26, 2012
              Hi Karen;   I was at St. Cyril Academy in Danville, PA in the early/mid 70's.  So, don't know if I'd be in any pics unless they were of reunions later...   though I'd be curious if my Mother or Aunts are in any of the reunion pics from earlier.  My Mom (Eva Marie Drozdek)  graduated in '49 I think and my Aunts (Mary and Veronica Drozdek)  in '51 and '53  I believe.
              thanks,
              Patty

              ________________________________
              Hi Patty, Curious when you attended St. Cyril. My mother and aunt (Carol and MaryAnn Chmela) were there in the late 50's/early 60's and my mother stayed on as a novitiate for a couple years. When my aunt passed, I found a few photos of group shots from reunions as well as some wallet sized of her classmates. Maybe you're in some of them! -Karen

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, pat Thomas <patcat87@...> wrote:

              > Hi Bill;   That is amazing, so cool!   To meet other Slovaks at that event and one that is stationed nearby, (at least for me as I live in VA)!
              >       I am new to this group and am eager to learn more and perhaps meet others of Slovak heritage.   I attended St. Cyril Academy in Danville, PA  for high school as did my Mother and Aunts.   It is run by the Sisters of Ss. Cyril and Methodius;  most of whom are of Slovak heritage.   We are Slovak on my Mom's side but unfortunately she passed when I was young so I don't have much information on my personal heritage.  Her maiden name was Eva Marie Drozdek so if you or anyone has any ideas/info I'd greatly appreciate it.
              >     btw, I'm in the DC area;  where are you located?
              > thanks so much;
              > Patty
              >
              > Patricia A. Toler,  RN,  BSN
              > Health and Wellness Consultant
              > www.ptolerjuiceplus.com
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Karen
              Message 6 of 15 , May 26, 2012
                I believe the photos I have are from the 90's/early 2000's. I'll dig them up and email them to you. If anyone else may be in them, let me know and I'll send them your way, too. -Karen

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, pat Thomas <patcat87@...> wrote:

                > Hi Karen;   I was at St. Cyril Academy in Danville, PA in the early/mid 70's.  So, don't know if I'd be in any pics unless they were of reunions later...   though I'd be curious if my Mother or Aunts are in any of the reunion pics from earlier.  My Mom (Eva Marie Drozdek)  graduated in '49 I think and my Aunts (Mary and Veronica Drozdek)  in '51 and '53  I believe.
                > thanks,
                > Patty
                >

                > ________________________________

              • pat Thomas
                Message 7 of 15 , May 26, 2012
                  Hi Karen;  that would be great!   My sister, Linda (class of '81 if my memory serves me!), and I went to some of those reunions!!
                  Patty

                  ________________________________
                  I believe the photos I have are from the 90's/early 2000's. I'll dig them up and email them to you. If anyone else may be in them, let me know and I'll send them your way, too. -Karen

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, pat Thomas <patcat87@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Karen;   I was at St. Cyril Academy in Danville, PA in the early/mid 70's.  So, don't know if I'd be in any pics unless they were of reunions later...   though I'd be curious if my Mother or Aunts are in any of the reunion pics from earlier.  My Mom (Eva Marie Drozdek)  graduated in '49 I think and my Aunts (Mary and Veronica Drozdek)  in '51 and '53  I believe.
                  > thanks,
                  > Patty
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • William
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 26, 2012
                    Hi Pat,
                    Yes, it was very cool! I could hardly believe it when the Lt Col said he was from Slovakia and then two more introduced themselves! Unfortunatley I lost track of them in the crowd after the dinner as I had wanted to buy them a drink and continue the great conversation. Especially since one of the first questions they asked me when I said I was of Slovak heritage was "do you drink like a Slovak"? "Of course", I said. The AF Colonel who is stationed in Norfolk told me there was a Slovak group in Sarasota, FL. I have never heard of it and I live 20 minutes away. He was going to give me a point of contact but about that time they were introducing the keynote speaker, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and he must have forgotten. The reason he mentioned it is that once a year the "coalition" partners (military forces from other countries) at Central Command HQ in Tampa have a gathering of some sort and somehow he must have learned of this group in Sarasota. I will have to do some research.
                    I have been through Danville,Pa. My wife and I were born and raised in Punxsutawney and my father's family were all from the Pittsburgh area. We are now located between Tampa and Sarasota, FL. I worked at Special Operations Command at MacDill AFB for 7 years before retiring from government civil service so that is the connection with the SOF community and the conference they hold each year.
                    There are a lot of people on this forum who will go out of their way to help you with your research. That is how I got my big break after spinning my wheels for a couple of months. I think the most common piece of advice given to those just starting out on their search is to identify the town/village where their ancestors were born. The Ellis Island web site with ship manifests is a good place to start as well as any naturalization papers you can get your hands on. That is how I found my grandfather's place of birth. You may already be aware but once you find the correct town/village, you can research microfilms held by the Church of Latter Day Saints at one of their Family History Centers.
                    Helen's note about the DC group sounds like your best bet to broaden your association
                    with fellow Slovak researchers and/or to meet Slovak expats and others. Good luck!
                    R/Bill

                  • marycayd@willex.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 26, 2012
                      Sounds wonderful.
                      Marycay

                      I attended the Special Operations Forces International Conference in Tampa this past week as I have for the past several years. This year they had Special Forces people from 90 countries attending. I wondered if there were any from the Slovak Republic. At the gala dinner on Wednesday night, 3 men in uniform approached our table to ask if the empty seats were available. All 3 were from Slovakia! Two were Slovak Army Lieutenant Colonels (1 on the General Staff in Bratislava and the other the Chief of Staff of the 5th Special Forces Group). The third was a Slovak Air Force Colonel currently stationed at a NATO command in Norfolk, VA. Needless to say I had a great evening! What a small world.
                      Bill

                    • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 29, 2012
                        Patty,

                        I am ½ Slovak from my dad’s side and my daughter, who lives near you, is ¼ Slovak. She just had a baby last week so there’s a new Slovak in your area ☺ She lives near Woodbridge but will be moving to Fredericksburg in a couple of months.

                        Michelle Maco Mader
                        Cleveland, Ohio USA

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 29, 2012
                          Congrats, Gramma!

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 29, 2012
                            Michelle There is a a parish in Ladysmith, about 20 miles south of
                            Fredericksburg that is very Slovak.. it was started by
                            a group of Slovak immigrants in the late 1800s and still has a very high
                            Slovak population in its parishioners... Most
                            of those Slovak families came from Western Slovakia.. regards
                            Andy V...

                            On 5/29/2012 1:06 PM, LongJohn Wayne wrote:

                            > Congrats, Gramma!
                            >
                            > From: "Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)" <Michelle.A.Mader@...
                            > <mailto:Michelle.A.Mader%40nasa.gov>>

                          • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 29, 2012
                              I’ll have to tell my daughter. Our family is from Western Slovakia, mostly Basovce and Pobedim.

                              Michelle Maco Mader
                              Cleveland, Ohio USA

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 29, 2012
                                I am sure that Pogo helped to train these fine men.  While he is not Slovak, he was a fantastic help to me on my first trip to Slovakia back in 2007.  What a gentleman!

                                Message 15 of 15 , May 31, 2012
                                  Hi Michelle;  Well, congrats on being a Grandma!  I travel to Woodbridge about once a week for appts. What a small world!  Is Maco the Slovak name of your Dad?