Re: Independent Traveler

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 8 , May 10, 2012
      To round out the first comments: The Golden Park Hotel is on Baross square as is the Baross Hotel where I stayed last time. Both are clean, fine hotels, but they are not the American generously cut hotels and perhaps are not appropriate for big people. Traveling alone, I often enough am given a small room, which is fine for me.

      While Keleti pu is the main train station to eastern Slovakia, the schedule only shows two trains a day to Kosice, leaving at 6:30 AM and at 6:30PM, arriving a bit after 9, so not quite 3 hours train ride. Obviously to catch the morning train you have to buy the ticket the day before. The international sales window does not open until after the train leaves. I was very fortunate the first time I did this and went to buy the ticket right after I settled in the hotel, catching them shortly before they closed the night before!

      Both Budapest and Vienna are magnificent cities, and while I speak German fluently, my heart lies in Budapest where I have trouble pronouncing Autobuzs correctly and keep getting "two" wrong. It was great just being here yesterday walking about from place to place. I was obviously a tourist smiling so much! I finally took the leisure to explore Margaret Island and part of Buda that I had not seen before. Today … but this is not a travelogue. I did go to the West Train station, Nyugati pu. It is worth breaking my rule of avoiding American restaurants in Europe to stop in the McDonalds for a cup of coffee in the building next door to the train station. It is supposed to be the most expensive to renovate and most beautiful McDonalds in the world. The historic building they fully restored is a famous one in Budapest and it is well worth a walk through. If you wish to use their toilets, carry your purchase receipt with for free admission. The coffee stop also revisited my introduction through my Slovak language professor when she brought the class here. She appreciates good language, good coffee, and as a European woman, beauty as well.

      I do remember the subway cars as being a gleaming stainless steel. I haven't seen any of these yet.