Re: [Slovak-World] Press freedom

    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2012
      I always learn something here.

      Jedi Chuck
      Ben is my Master

      ________________________________
      From: votrubam <votrubam@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, May 7, 2012 9:29 PM
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Press freedom

      > Slovak law states that dual citizenship is legal,
      > but not apparently for resident ethnic Hungarians

      That's not how the Slovak law is defined, Peter. On May 26, 2010, Budapest passed a law that enabled citizens of foreign countries who do not live in Hungary to obtain Hungarian citizenship if they could demonstrate Hungarian ethnicity (speaking the language being a key trait). Bratislava reacted with a law that took effect on July 17, 2010, which disallowed Slovak citizens to have dual citizenship except under certain circumstances. (The law was not retroactive.)

      Since that date, a Slovak citizen obtaining another country's citizenship has been obligated to report it to Bratislava. His/her Slovak citizenship will then be canceled unless (to simplify) the person requests otherwise and convinces the authorities that s/he is obtaining it as a result of her/his permanent residence in a foreign country and, typically, marrying there.

      I.e., the law applies to all the Slovak citizens, not just to ethnic Hungarians in Slovakia.

      > Evidently the Bohemian led government doesn't recognize
      > Moravians as an ethnic group

      It's not clear what "recognition" should mean, Peter? There are no legal consequences of calling oneself of this or that ethnicity in the Czech Republic. In the 2011 Czech Census, 630,897 people gave their ethnicity as "Moravian." Out of those, ca. 99,000 also listed "Czech" ethnicity, 4,600 "Silesian" ethnicity, and 1,650 "Slovak" ethnicity -- along with their "Moravian" ethnicity.

      BTW, 15,070 people declared their ethnicity as "Jedi Knights" (of Star Wars fame) in the same Czech Census, which was more than the people willing to call themselves "Roma" in the Czech R. in that census.