Re: [Slovak-World] Harsh treatment of children

  • Nick Holcz
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 1, 2003
      At 09:27 AM 1/06/2003 +0200, you wrote:
      >"Save the stick-spoil the child?"

      Vladimir,
      My brother and I both got smacked when we needed it and it did not do us
      any permanent harm. My children were smacked occasionally ditto. The
      youngest one didn't care if you smacked him or not so different tactics
      were needed. My brother doesn't believe in corporal punishment and his
      children grew up well. So either tactic seems to work as long as discipline
      is given with love.
      Our granddaughters also are disciplined and will get a smack if they keep
      up with bad behaviour.

      I too see children throwing tantrums and ruling the parents, see what you
      get for being too lazy and not loving them enough to discipline children.

      There are really nice looking women who spoil it all when they open their
      mouth and speak,but it seems to be common language these days. That's the
      old saying "don't judge a book by its cover"

      Nick

    • Jan Lan
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 3, 2003
        At 10:57 AM 6/2/2003 -0700, you wrote:
        >On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 BJLK@... wrote:
        >

        > > There are probably as many as there are parents who can invent creative
        > > punishments. I was given wood chunks to kneel on (the kind that are
        > roughly
        > > chopped for the fireplace or furnace with lots of splinters). I'm a little
        > > surprised to see that "painful kneeling" seems to be more a common
        > experience than I
        > > ever imagined. Is this a downside of being brought up Slovak?
        > >
        > > B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)
        >
        >Sounds like a downside of being brought up Catholic. :)

        More like an attempt to assert dominance. The alpha wolf thing.

        Janko