Harsh treatment of children

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 1, 2003
      "Save the stick-spoil the child?"
      How was that?
      Do any of the members recall anything about harsh treatment of children in a family?
      Have any of the members been beaten or punished while young?
      Why babicka is more popular and loved than mother?
      Is this issue a taboo?
      ========
      Once I took an american woman, working at the embassy in Vienna, together with her two kids ( 7 and 9) to show her Slovenia.
      In a very nice restaurant, having the best known speciality, that included cream, the kids started to throw the cream at each other. Mother did not intervene. Such behavior can not be seen in our places, so I told the older boy not to do that.
      This is food and we respect it.
      Mother started to yell at me, that he is just fine and I should leave him alone.
      This was the end of our friendship.
      Are children in US being disciplined today?
      =========
      Many people pass under our balkony in Nove Mesto, Slovakia. Much too often I saw and heard the harsh and brutal treatment of children, while going home from the city, together with one or two parents.Children begging and crying.
      A very nice looking young mother was able to produce such a terrible voice and yell such nasty words, that my blood freezed. Then I realized, that the appearance and beauty do not tell a thing about what the person really is.
      Vladimir

    • Jan Lan
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 3, 2003
        At 10:57 AM 6/2/2003 -0700, you wrote:
        >On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 BJLK@... wrote:
        >

        > > There are probably as many as there are parents who can invent creative
        > > punishments. I was given wood chunks to kneel on (the kind that are
        > roughly
        > > chopped for the fireplace or furnace with lots of splinters). I'm a little
        > > surprised to see that "painful kneeling" seems to be more a common
        > experience than I
        > > ever imagined. Is this a downside of being brought up Slovak?
        > >
        > > B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)
        >
        >Sounds like a downside of being brought up Catholic. :)

        More like an attempt to assert dominance. The alpha wolf thing.

        Janko