question re: name & nickname

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2012
      Hi All,

      There was a fellow in my grandparents' village, cousin of my great-grandfather, whose first name was Napoleon; I've found only two men with that name in the parish records.

      My question is whether there are/were particular nicknames in Slovak for "Napoleon. "

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2012
        Well.... "Napoleon!" :-P The adjective is napoleonsky. :-D Fancy that! :-D

        PS... Call me sometime. I wanna catch up!
        Ben

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2012
          Sorry that I sent this public. If anyone wants to call me too, that is fine. :-D

          Wow.. I feel stupid.
          Ben

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2012
            It's o.k., Ben, we've all done similar things. But I'm curious--what IS the name?

            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2012
              At first I read that as "call me something" as in "Hi Napoleon!"

              More seriously, an additional question: Napoleon was well received in Poland as he marched against Moscow, and he gained many volunteers who hoped to use him to win Polish and Lithuanian freedom from Moscow.

              In histories relating the disastrous Hapsburg (thus HU and SK as well) war against Napoleon, were there any Slovak factions who sided with Napoleon? I have never read any reference to such a thing...

              Ron

              Message 6 of 7 , May 5, 2012
                OK, Ben.... you're 'Napoleon.'

                But only because you asked.

                If any of zou come to Berlin, there is an excellent Sri Lankan restaurant down on the south end off the S1 line at the JUlius-Leber-Brücke street stop.  A bit off he beaten path, but worth the trip.

                Chuck

                It's o.k., Ben, we've all done similar things.  But I'm curious--what IS the name?

                To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 7 , May 5, 2012
                  Here.  Use my dunce cap.  Now go stand in the corner.