Re: Slovak, US teens

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2012
      > However there are two very different and distinct
      > histories and cultures a

      Why "however", Marilyn? The posted differences appear to confirm, not to contradict, what you say.

      There is a different "however" here, though:

      The few posted points are among those that highlight some differences, as the original post said. The overwhelming majority of the surveyed topics show no consistent differences between Slovakia and the U.S., or the rest of Europe Each of the dozens of European cultures and the U.S. culture are "very different" in some respects and very similar in others.

      I.e., "very different and distinct histories and cultures" may be what we read in other sources (true or not), but nothing of the sort transpires through this survey.

      Martin
    • marilyn murphy
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2012

        All well and good.  However there are two very different and distinct histories and cultures at play here.  I find such studies to be too generic and vague.  What are all the variables in the study?  Such blanket statements and general lists serve only to breed misunderstanding and contention without a full report.  Perhaps an explanation of why the study was done?
        Marilyn

        On May 2, 2012, at 4:57 PM, "votrubam" <votrubam@...> wrote:

        >The World Health Organization has released a comparative survey of teenagers in Europe and the U.S. Here are some of the more telling differences between Slovak and American teens (in percent of all teens, B = boys, G = girls); all the issues concern the 15-year-old group:
        >
        >Overweight/obese: SKB-15 SKG-7 USB-34 USG-27
        >
        >Have 3+ close friends of the same sex:
        >
        >SKB-88 SKG-82 USB-77 USG-75
        >
        >See classmates as kind and helpful:
        >
        >SKB-63 SKG-63 USB-53 USG-40
        >
        >Spend 4+ evenings/week with friends:
        >
        >SKB-41 SKG-38 USB-27 USG-16
        >
        >Feel pressured by schoolwork: SKB-20 SKG-16 USB-42 USG-54
        >
        >1+ medically attended injury in past 12 months:
        >
        >SKB-36 SKG-28 USB-50 USG-40
        >
        >Watch TV 2+ hours on weekdays: SKB-73 SKG-72 USB-54 USG-53
        >
        >Smoke tobacco 1+ times/week: SKB-21 SKG-17 USB-9 USG-7
        >
        >Drink alcohol 1+ times/week: SKB-28 SKG-16 USB-11 USG-9
        >
        >Have smoked pot: SKB-21 SKG-13 USB-30 USG-26
        >

        >Martin

      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2012
          > an explanation of why the study was done?

          What WHO usually does: to survey the situation as a starting point to possible governmental and international action and to help understand where none is needed. As usual, WHO made the new survey readily available to be checked for detailed answers and possible discussion.

          > breed misunderstanding and contention

          It might be useful to clarify what's there not to understand, Marilyn, about, e.g., the report saying that more Slovak 15-year-olds smoke tobacco and more of their American peers have tried pot, what's there to contend; what misunderstanding or contention there is about the teens' weight, how much time they spend watching TV. The same applies to all the other posted topics that were surveyed. As usual, WHO made the new survey readily available to be checked for detailed answers and possible discussion.

          It simply maps the contemporary situation.

          The survey shows, interestingly, that in some issues, Slovak teens are like/unlike their peers in the U.S, in some they're like/unlike Frenchmen, in some they're like/unlike Icelanders. The same is true about the Americans, Frenchmen, Icelanders, all the surveyed countries. As usual, WHO made the new survey readily available to be checked for detailed answers and possible discussion.