Re: [Slovak-World] where to eat and what to see

  • Lubos Brieda
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2012
      Sandie, make sure to stop in a "salas" (shepherds hut, but really now more of a tourist attraction), or a koliba (traditional log-cabin restaurant). That is where you can sample Slovak specialties. These are all over the place, just ask for a good one, or do a google search along your route. If you are into spas, one of my favorites is the one in Sklene  Teplice, http://www.kupele-sklene-teplice.com/en/index.php. The are famous for their thermal cave.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2012
        Funny - I first read this as you were renting a czar!!
        I guess times aren't what they used to be for the Romanovs.

        Joe

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2012
          We have lots of Cxars running things here in the US.  Please take one of ours.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2012
            Dear Sandi,
            It looks like you are going to Slovakia at just about the same time that I did with my husband two years ago.

            I packed quite a bit into the trip while traveling by car.

            Be sure that the car comes with a "sticker" that allows you to drive on the main highways. My rental came with one. Our car also came with two Slovak magazines in the backseat. This might sound silly, but one of the things that we noticed is that people (local Slovaks in different towns) knew that the car was a rental from Bratislava.

            Many Slovak people rent cars in Slovakia for travel, so having the Slovak magazines in the back gave the impression to someone peering in the windows (while we were away from the car) that the car was being rented by a local. We had no issues with any type of break-ins, but there were two instances, when we were in route and had all of our luggage in the trunk, that we opted not to visit a place due to concern about our belongings.

            Also, buy an atlas. Mine was invaluable. They sell them at the gasoline stops on the highway for much less than what you buy them here for. We had an atlas and a GPS and the combination helped us to get to our destination.

            Also, I had a google map printed up with directions for each place where we would be staying. I had made them up, prior to the trip, with detailed directions to each place where we would be visiting or staying. That made a huge difference in my comfort level.

            The Atlas's are very informative, even letting you know if there is a place to stop for the bathroom.
            One town was marked as such, and the toilets were in a very small building, off the main road, in a town with about 4 buildings in it. But they were there....and that's what counted for me!

            If I could have, I would have seen Spissky Hrad. If you go, make sure that you don't have any valuables in your car. The Roma are in large numbers around there because they know that it is a tourist attraction.

            I would try to see Bojnice Castle. Spectacular! Parking was easy in a lot near the castle. We did not feel uncomfortable parking here, as it is a pretty busy place.

            The outdoor museum in Zilina was fabulous, but that might be pretty far off of your travel route.

            I did not get to Trnava, and would have liked to have toured that as well.

            The clock museum in Bratislava is a real gem.
            St. Martin's Cathedral was fabulous.

            Just walking around the Old Town is spectacular.

            I used the Brandt Slovakia travel guide. I highly recommend it.

            Some of my best memories were in off-beat places along the road.

            There is a lovely Viennese Coffee house that sells fabulous pastries in the main square of Old Town Bratislava. Kaffee Mayer

            In Kosice we ate dinner at Villa Regia. It was FABulous!!

            Use my site for review: http://home.comcast.net/~geismom/Gallivanting_Geismom/Ancestral_Homeland.html

            Have a wonderful trip. Safe travels to you.

            Barbara

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Sandie" <rosegramroses@...> wrote:

            > I am going to Slovakia in a week. I am visiting Bratislava wher my Maternal grandfather is from. and Kosice where my Maternal grandmother is from. also from the paternal side of the family I will be visiting
            > Blazice. Any suggestions are grastly appreciated since We asre renting a cxar and going it on our own without as guide or tour group.
            > Thanks to all. Sandie Klucar

          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2012
              The sticker can be bought at any gas station.  Also, the license plate tells you where the car is registered: the first two letters tell you: BA- Bratislava, PP-Poprad, BB-Banska Bystrica... etc.

              Having lived in SK, I never EVER had to worry about a break-in in my car, but then, I also kept everything of value hidden or at home. We did take all the documentation about the car everywhere all the time: if the car is stolen, it helps prove that it is yours. The car, however, was never stolen. :-)

              The real beauty of Slovakia is not in the tourist-traps; it is in the people and the smaller "out-of-the-way" places.  As to where I eat... well, if they have food, I try it. I prefer my local pubs/restaurants, and I also enjoy the salas and koliba... :-) But I am a folklorist.
              Ben

              ________________________________
> [...]

              Some of my best memories were in off-beat places along the road.

              There is a lovely Viennese Coffee house that sells fabulous pastries in the main square of Old Town Bratislava. Kaffee Mayer

              In Kosice we ate dinner at Villa Regia. It was FABulous!!

              Use my site for review: http://home.comcast.net/~geismom/Gallivanting_Geismom/Ancestral_Homeland.html

              Have a wonderful trip. Safe travels to you.

              Barbara

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Sandie" <rosegramroses@...> wrote:

              > I am going to Slovakia in a week. I am visiting Bratislava wher my Maternal grandfather is from. and Kosice where my Maternal grandmother is from. also from the paternal side of the family I will be visiting
              > Blazice. Any suggestions are grastly appreciated since We asre renting a cxar and going it on our own without as guide or tour group.

            • cvargacvarga
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2012
                If you are near Stará Ľubovňa check out this place restaurant and also check out the castle nearby:

                http://www.salasufranka.sk/

                http://www.slovakheritage.org/Castles/stara_lubovna.htm
              • cvargacvarga
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2012
                  And here is an inexpensive penzion:

                  http://www.penzion-silvia.sk/index0.html

                  It's 1 or 2 stars. Rooms don't have TV's, telephones, but it's very quiet.