Re: A velvety visit to old city

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1 9:08 AM
      > I cannot possibly thank them for their whole-hearted acceptance.

      Indeed, Bill, I remember your accounts of the trips when you came back. Slovak bloggers do not complain about visits to their relatives, they consider Slovak tourist services rather lacking.

      One thing easy to miss in the transatlantic perspective is the difference between a tourist (not a relative/friend staying in people's homes) visiting a distant foreign country for a short time, and someone visiting more familiar locations within a short distance of one's home.

      The Slovak law guarantees everyone a 4-week paid vacation, which goes up to 5 weeks after one's 33rd birthday (plus 15 paid holiday days for a total of 7 paid weeks off work each year). So when the Slovaks drive perhaps just 100 miles from home in their own country and stay put in the same place for 2 weeks, they will have different expectations and take on it than thrilled Americans zipping around an excitingly different country with much more money to spend for barely a week.

      And because Slovaks will also have spent time abroad during their legally guaranteed long, long paid vacation time, they will compare what they get for their money in tourist-efficient coastal resorts like in Croatia, Greece, Egypt (the Slovaks' main foreign destinations) with any crude waiters and receptionists, and with the half-dead historical towns and vacations spots when the sun gets closer to the horizon back in Slovakia.

      Martin
    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1 7:29 PM
        But yet, Germans and Cechs abound in Slovakia both winter and summer.  The Tatra ski areas attract many and the Spas, like Piestany attract many.  I just wish more of our people would visit.

        I wonder if there isn't a place where the "bloggers" could send complaints????

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1 8:39 PM
          http://spectator.sme.sk/articles/view/45907/8/nitra_famous_even_in_outer_space.html

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , May 1 9:38 PM
            > But yet, Germans and Cechs abound in Slovakia

            Germans in the first place? What is the number of visitors from Germany to Slovakia by comparison to visitors from other countries?

            Tourism makes up but 1.5 percent of Slovakia's GDP, the average length of a visitor's stay is barely two days. Comparisons with Slovakia's neighbors are available, it makes sense to look them up before posting.

            > I wonder if there isn't a place where the "bloggers"
            > could send complaints????

            Where? They're complaining about the management of the places they visit.

            Martin
          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2 6:27 PM
              Informative Article concerning Slovakia.  Note:  Under "Slovak Profile" are Tabs covering all info.

              http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17847682

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , May 4 10:05 AM
                There is the age of the buildings, Vilo, and and also the methods of construction that are strange to Americans, and thus make it hard to tell if a building is old or simply built in a traditional way. Simply the use of stucco over brick and heavy timbers for roof framing make it difficult to judge. On the US embassy in Vilnius, one of the American workers was astounded to work on renovating a 16th century building - and was shocked when he was told it was built in 1936.

                Much of what passes for old buildings in Germany are new buildings build more-or-less after the old styles in the reconstruction following WW II. The Frankfurt Romer Platz (loosely town square) is one specific example.

                I have seen claims of log buildings dating from the 1200's existing in both the Carpathians and in Scandinavia. In the former, the one fellow used phrases "tradition has it" and "reputed to be", whereas some dendrochronological (tree ring) dating would seem to settle most questions about age. The problem to overcome with that exact science is what percentage of the building would count as the age? A log from 1250, or a renovation log from 1764?

                Periodic fires and natural rotting of wood over centuries have eliminated most of the ancient wooden buildings, and the better protected and often restored brick and plaster buildings are what we see today. They are still quite old by our standards.
                Ron

                Message 7 of 15 , May 7 1:18 PM
                  Ron:

                  Germans are fond of [re-]using the braces & supports of the Bavarian style buildings, but filling in the brick/stucco/straw portions of the outside walls w/ more modern insulated components.

                  Warsaw was rebuilt after what the Germans did to it after 'The Rising' & the approach of the Communists as they retreated.  The Russians 'killed two birds w/ one stone by allowing the Poles to slaughter themselves by attacking the Germans.  In so doing they made sure that the patriots & heroes who would oppose the Communist yolk of oppression which would soon replace the Fascist yolk.  But in Warsaw, the reconstruction was made possible by the virtual destruction of other Polish towns for the bricks to rebuild Warsaw.

                  http://www.warsawuprising.com/
                  http://www.polishforums.com/history-poland-34/restoration-polish-cities-ww-destruction-32836/

                  I actually forget which town(s) was destroyed to recreate Warsaw.  I was only there a few hours & took in what I could.

                  Chuck

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 7 5:35 PM
                    The Germans were good at a lot of things and weaker in othres, as you might find in different parts of the USA. Central and southern Germans would hire north Germans to do finish brickwork.

                    For the really fine custom decorations in plasterwork, the medallions and shields you see on walls and ceilings of palaces, they would import Polish workers who had the skills required. I know the topic intimately, I was engaged to a woman who took over the family specialty business, and once her dad retired even the superbly skilled workers she had could not do that work. It is sad the Poles had so much destruction in their lands that they had to keep those highly skilled tradesmen busy so long!

                    Ahhh .. the materials and methods used... another difference in culture. Don't try to find an American who can plaster a wall or a German who can do a decent job on sheet rock! But we should enjoy the differences, as I told a young engineer who returned from Iraq and criticized their materials and methods, with no appreciation for the materials they have, their traditions, and the occasional inappropriateness of our methods and materials.
                    You have been to Berlin, so Teufelsberg has meaning for you. I have some good stories of that and Lithuania someday.

                    Ron
                    PS. I know Pawian from another Polish forum, a very interesting fellow.

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 9 1:10 PM
                      Ron:

                      I knew a man in South Florida who was the equal of any European plasterer.  He was definitely old school.  John Sutton.  He once fashioned the doorway, not the door, mind you, which was imported from Spain or Italy (from an old estate) with rolled archways & in his time & materials estimated the cost at about $250,000.00.  This was over 20 years ago.  It would have to be over a million now.

                      We are staying far off topic, but thought you might like to know.

                      On my first trip to Parchovany, SK, I was fascinated by the way the rain gutters appeared to be works of art the way they were ornamented or perforated at the tops w/ crosses, crests, or coats of arms, and the way the downspouts would have junctions to deviate away from the structural accents on the buildings.  And this was just in a simple peasant village.

                      Chuck
                      [Recovering from jetlag, albeit slowly]

                      If you haven't already left.