Re: [Slovak-World] Olyphant, PA

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21, 2012
      Railroad workers:  Here in Johnstown, NY 12095, the RR workers were Italian.  Slovak men worked in Leather Mills and our women in Glove Shops.

      I thought it was "Normal for only Italians working on the RR tracks because my Great Aunt from Veresvar, (C~ervenik), told me that she remembered, Italians building the rail tracks, when she was a small girl in the Late 1880's.

      Coal Mines:  My Grandfather arrived, 18yrs. old, in 1901.  I don't know exactly where he worked but he lived in the Wilkes-Barre area.  He worked for two months when one day he had a thought, "why am I working at this job?  It will be dark enough when I'm dead."

      He left and WALKED to NY City, (123 mi), where he met a Zahorak, with whom He WALKED to Johnstown, NY, (195 mi)..

      On the way, the stopped in Terrytown, NY and were looking through a meat market window, when a young girl came along, heard them speaking and asked if they wished to come to her home, where her mother would cook the meat and let them sleep in the barn.

      They did and found that the woman's husband had died, leaving her with 7 children to raise. The
      following M, they pooled their money giving her half and continued on their way.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      From: Marilyn Murphy <mjmurph99@...>
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Fw: [S-R] Czech/Slovak
      To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 4:41 AM

      Olyphant is just outside Scranton PA. The main industry was anthracite coal mining. There was also mills where many of the women worked.

      Sent from my iPhone