Fw: [S-R] Czech/Slovak

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20, 2012
      I meant to send this to S-W but erred.  I didn't notice the original was sent to S-R.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 20, 2012
        As I read the census I see a lot of Slovaks listing their destination as
        Olyphant, Pa. What type of industry was there circa 1900?
        George

        ________________________________

> [...]

        >> Hungarian only. On the Ship’s Manifest you see where under ethnicity
        >> they chose Slovak but under citizenry they used Hungarian.
        >>

        >> Subject: [S-R] Czech/Slovak relation was: TAX COLLECTORS
        >>

        >> This idea continued over into America. Our town was heavily populated
        >> by immigrants from Czech and Slovakia. Yet, until recently, it was only
        >> Czechs who settled
        here, even if you were Slovak, because Slovaks were
        >> looked down upon. Nope, you weren't Slovak, even if you were. It was
        >> all pretty hush-hush. Adds some difficulty in actually figuring out
        >> where your family is from. To add confusion, you find your ancestors
        >> wrote Austria/Hungary on their ship manifests, yet were from Slovakia.
        >> :) This is what makes genealogy fun!
        >> Luanne
        >>> Czechs have never treated Slovaks as equals. .

      • Marilyn Murphy
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21, 2012
          Olyphant is just outside Scranton PA. The main industry was anthracite coal mining. There was also mills where many of the women worked.

          Sent from my iPhone

        • Marycay Doolittle
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 21, 2012
            I lived in the town next to Olyphant, Blakely, PA. Family members were coal miners, my uncle, Joseph Bushko, was killed in the mines at age 20, my grandfather Michael Sofranko died from black lung when I was 15 months old. Not far from the house where we lived strip mining was done, I was maybe 7-10 yr old at the time. It was over quickly and as kids we were not allowed to go into the area because the open pits were water filled and the entire area was concerned dangerous. Of course we did go there to explore/play, luckily we didn't get hurt but did catch hell from mom. That entire area is now housing and one would not know mining took place. Maybe 200' from the house was a track that carried smallish coal cars that went to the breaker close by. It was fun playing in those cars with the left over coal pieces. Fond memories for me, not so much for those who had to work these mines.

            Marycay

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 21, 2012

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 21, 2012
                 Thank you. My Father and Maternal Grandfather lived in Lehighton and Wilkes Barre, respectively.My Father worked for The Lehigh Valley RR. They moved from there to Onnalinda, (Summerhill Twp.,Cambria County) PA.
                George

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 21, 2012
                  Railroad workers:  Here in Johnstown, NY 12095, the RR workers were Italian.  Slovak men worked in Leather Mills and our women in Glove Shops.

                  I thought it was "Normal for only Italians working on the RR tracks because my Great Aunt from Veresvar, (C~ervenik), told me that she remembered, Italians building the rail tracks, when she was a small girl in the Late 1880's.

                  Coal Mines:  My Grandfather arrived, 18yrs. old, in 1901.  I don't know exactly where he worked but he lived in the Wilkes-Barre area.  He worked for two months when one day he had a thought, "why am I working at this job?  It will be dark enough when I'm dead."

                  He left and WALKED to NY City, (123 mi), where he met a Zahorak, with whom He WALKED to Johnstown, NY, (195 mi)..

                  On the way, the stopped in Terrytown, NY and were looking through a meat market window, when a young girl came along, heard them speaking and asked if they wished to come to her home, where her mother would cook the meat and let them sleep in the barn.

                  They did and found that the woman's husband had died, leaving her with 7 children to raise. The
                  following M, they pooled their money giving her half and continued on their way.

                  Z Bohom,

                  Vilo