Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovaks and the Titanic

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 18 11:55 AM
      Chuck

       Forgot to mention....A lot of Slovak immigrants came through Baltimore Maryland and Galvaston, Texas. The only sites I've seen for these two were pay to view. Maybe someone with an Ancestry.com subscription could check them for you.

      Larry

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 18 2:26 PM
        ellis island

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 18 2:29 PM
          Already hot & humid here in panama city beach.  Makes me miss Charlotte NC all the more.  Spring was beautiful there.

          Sad to be laid off.  Glad to have a new job.

          Life is full of accommodations.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 18 3:02 PM
            I can only afford  Sahnahfah Beach. :o) :o) :o)

            Me,  (I tink)

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 18 3:09 PM
              I can't afford it here either.  But this job, while paying less, is allowing me to put bread on the table.

              I tried to apply for work in Slovakia, but do not have an EU passport.  If things keep up like this, we all might need to do so.

              ________________________________
              I can only afford  Sahnahfah Beach. :o) :o) :o)

              Me,  (I tink)

              ________________________________

              How would I determine what ship/port my grandfather emigrated on/from?

              ________________________________
              Yep,  My Grandfather arrived in the U.S. on the Carpathia out of Fiume several years earlier.  Fiume on the Adriatic was in the A-H Empire.  Shortly after the turn of the century A-H relalized they were missing out on the emegrant business with their folks emegrating out of Hamburg in the north.  It makes sense for a ship named Carpathia to be dedicated to a port serving emegrants out of the area of the Carpathian Mountains.

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Tonya Harmon <tharmon63@...> wrote:

              > As I'm sure you are aware, it was the 100th anniversary of the sinking of
              > the Titanic yesterday.  One of my Slovak relatives was on the steamship
              > Carpathia that came to its rescue.  As I researched the rescue, I realized
              > that the majority of 550 passengers in the Carpathia's 3rd class section
              > were Slovak, or were at least from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It was
              > headed to the port of Fiume from New York, and I believe most of the
              > Europeans on the ship were "birds of passage."  Here's a little story of
              > Jan's experience.
              >
              > https://paulinescookbook.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/birds-eye-view/
              >
              > --
              > Tonya Harmon

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 18 3:47 PM
                Chuck,

                Seriously, I'll remember you in my prayers.  So far, it has worked for one of my nephews and a good friend.  That leaves another young nephew and you.

                Nazdar!

                Z Bohom,

                Vilo

                P S.  I have been in your situation and understand fully.  I was 51, no chance for a job in my field, with a like Salary.

                ________________________________

              • lkocik@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 18 4:03 PM
                  Chuck

                   interesting comment on considering moving to Slovakia for employment.

                   I would think the cost of living is more suitable but what would the comparison in wages be to America?

                   I have a cousin that is a tenured college professor in Kosice and he lives with his parents because he says he can't afford his own place.

                   I'm sure there are other financial considerations or obligations in his life, but could pay scales be that dire?I know too that culturally, in the older generations children stayed at home longer and men even married and brought their brides into the family home. M aybe this is more rhetorical and too broad a question but still interesting.

                   larry

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 18 4:51 PM
                    Life is good, Vilo.  Your prayers are appreciated.

                    many are not so fortunate.

                    ________________________________

                    I can't afford it here either.  But this job, while paying less, is allowing me to put bread on the table.

                    I tried to apply for work in Slovakia, but do not have an EU passport.  If things keep up like this, we all might need to do so.

                    ________________________________
                    I can only afford  Sahnahfah Beach. :o) :o) :o)

                    Me,  (I tink)

                    ________________________________

                    How would I determine what ship/port my grandfather emigrated on/from?

                    ________________________________
                    Yep,  My Grandfather arrived in the U.S. on the Carpathia out of Fiume several years earlier.  Fiume on the Adriatic was in the A-H Empire.  Shortly after the turn of the century A-H relalized they were missing out on the emegrant business with their folks emegrating out of Hamburg in the north.  It makes sense for a ship named Carpathia to be dedicated to a port serving emegrants out of the area of the Carpathian Mountains.

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Tonya Harmon <tharmon63@...> wrote:

                    > As I'm sure you are aware, it was the 100th anniversary of the sinking of
                    > the Titanic yesterday.  One of my Slovak relatives was on the steamship
                    > Carpathia that came to its rescue.  As I researched the rescue, I realized
                    > that the majority of 550 passengers in the Carpathia's 3rd class section
                    > were Slovak, or were at least from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It was
                    > headed to the port of Fiume from New York, and I believe most of the
                    > Europeans on the ship were "birds of passage."  Here's a little story of
                    > Jan's experience.
                    >
                    > https://paulinescookbook.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/birds-eye-view/
                    >
                    > --
                    > Tonya Harmon

                  • mikenemjo
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 28 6:42 AM
                      It was on the ellis island site that I found records for my grandfather. Funny thing was playing around with the search engine. I searches by last name. I kept putting in variations of Becza. Nothing came up. Then I searched using the first name, Andras. Bingo, it came up. When preparing the passenger list the ships official entered first names in the last name colunm and last names in the first name column.

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, lkocik@... wrote:

                      > Chuck
                      >
                      >   www.ellisisland.org
                      >
                      > www.Castlegarden.org
                      >
                      >  Ellis Island will usually show a photo of the ship your ancestor arrived on.
                      >
                      >  There is a site for emmigrants that left through Bremen,Germany as it seems most Slovaks did. There is also a site called Steve Morse.
                      >
                      >  His site includes a link to Ellis Island but he offers some interesting ways to search ...such as entering the villiage your ancestors were from and you get a list of everyone that emmigrated.This is good for Dave B's  system of cluster genealogy.Steve Morse is a site that's accessable through www.Jewishgen  [.org or.com???]  or you could probably google it; same for the bremen site.
                      >
                      >  Hope your enjoying spring
                      >
                      > larry

                    • mstrania
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 14, 2012
                        Thank you so much for posting this link.

                        We were able to find my mother's grandparents coming over to the US, her grandfather in 1903 and her grandmother in 1905. Also we were able to find my father's mother's grandfather who came over in 1905 to come and visit his brother and work in Chicago.

                        Amazing to find these records!