Country spareriba ala wolsko

  • Paul J. Wolsko
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31 4:00 PM
      Here's my recipe for "Pork & Sauerkraut", developed over 30 years of trial and error. It's something else!

      Ingredients (quantities aren't all that vital for savory recipes):

      Four pounds or so of Country-Style spare ribs.
      Large bag fresh saurekraut, drained and lightly rinsed.
      One dozen dried juniper berries.
      1/4 pound lean bacon
      flour
      white wine (save some to pour into yourself)
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Get an iron dutch oven and heat it well, browning the ribs in canola or something like that - butter works, until well-browned.
      Add the drained sauerkraut, juniper berries and a 1 1/2 cup white wine. Cover and simmer for, perhaps, two hours or so.
      (Forget the "apple thing" - the Germans do that) Fresh ground pepper's OK, and I usually throw in a small handful of whole peppercorns.

      Now, render the bacon in a frying fan until it's crispy. Remove the bacon, drain on towels, and chop it up. Remove all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease and add 1/4 cup of flour, tending this constantly to make a medium-dark roux - gotta be careful here so you don't burn the roux. If you burn the roux, start over and render more bacon. Never use overheated bacon grease in a roux.

      NOW, return the bacon bits to the saurkraut mix along with the roux. If it needs to be thinned, add a bit of wine.

      Warm and serve with good bread, wine and friends.

      Nothing better.

      Paul Wolsko

    • Alyssa Eppich
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31 4:25 PM
        Paul,
        thank you for the wonderful sounding recipe. this sounds like a great
        fall/winter dish. I can't wait!
        Alyssa

        --------------------
        > Get an iron dutch oven and heat it well, browning the ribs in canola or
        something like that - butter works, until well-browned.
        > Add the drained sauerkraut, juniper berries and a 1 1/2 cup white wine.
        Cover and simmer for, perhaps, two hours or so.
        > (Forget the "apple thing" - the Germans do that) Fresh ground pepper's
        OK, and I usually throw in a small handful of whole peppercorns.

        > Now, render the bacon in a frying fan until it's crispy. Remove the
        bacon, drain on towels, and chop it up. Remove all but 1/4 cup of the bacon
        grease and add 1/4 cup of flour, tending this constantly to make a
        medium-dark roux - gotta be careful here so you don't burn the roux. If you
        burn the roux, start over and render more bacon. Never use overheated bacon
        grease in a roux.

        > NOW, return the bacon bits to the saurkraut mix along with the roux. If
        it needs to be thinned, add a bit of wine.

        > Warm and serve with good bread, wine and friends.
        >
        > Nothing better.
        >
        > Paul Wolsko

      • Bernardine Weigand
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31 9:35 PM
          Paul, your recipe sounds scrumptious. Just printed out copies for my sister and me.
          Thank you.

          Bernardine
          -------------------------------

          Paul J. Wolsko wrote:

          > Here's my recipe for "Pork & Sauerkraut", developed over 30 years of trial and
          > error. It's something else!
          >
          > Ingredients (quantities aren't all that vital for savory recipes):
          >
          > Four pounds or so of Country-Style spare ribs.
          > Large bag fresh saurekraut, drained and lightly rinsed.
          > One dozen dried juniper berries.
          > 1/4 pound lean bacon
          > flour
          > white wine (save some to pour into yourself)
          > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          > Get an iron dutch oven and heat it well, browning the ribs in canola or something
          > like that - butter works, until well-browned.
          > Add the drained sauerkraut, juniper berries and a 1 1/2 cup white wine. Cover
          > and simmer for, perhaps, two hours or so.
          > (Forget the "apple thing" - the Germans do that) Fresh ground pepper's OK, and I
          > usually throw in a small handful of whole peppercorns.
          >
          > Now, render the bacon in a frying fan until it's crispy. Remove the bacon, drain
          > on towels, and chop it up. Remove all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease and add
          > 1/4 cup of flour, tending this constantly to make a medium-dark roux - gotta be
          > careful here so you don't burn the roux. If you burn the roux, start over and
          > render more bacon. Never use overheated bacon grease in a roux.
          >
          > NOW, return the bacon bits to the saurkraut mix along with the roux. If it needs
          > to be thinned, add a bit of wine.
          >
          > Warm and serve with good bread, wine and friends.
          >
          > Nothing better.
          >
          > Paul Wolsko

        • theoldpro
          Message 4 of 7 , May 31 10:06 PM
            I've just red flagged your recipe for SpareRiba ala Wolsko; it sounds "simply delicious." The next time I'm in a cooking mood, we'll give it a try.

            Thanks for sharing it; by the way, where is Cathy Ambrisko Mullenix?

            Haven't heard from her for some time.

            The Old Pro

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
              When you drain the sauerkraut, the juice is the best source of vitamin C.
              Even in Bratislava, it is being sold in bottles at the market.
              Vladimir

              > Paul, your recipe sounds scrumptious. Just printed out copies for my
              sister and me.
              > Thank you.
              >
              > Bernardine
              > -------------------------------
              >
              > Paul J. Wolsko wrote:
              > >
              > > Here's my recipe for "Pork & Sauerkraut", developed over 30 years of
              trial and
              > > error. It's something else!
              > >
              > > Ingredients (quantities aren't all that vital for savory recipes):
              > >
              > > Four pounds or so of Country-Style spare ribs.
              > > Large bag fresh saurekraut, drained and lightly rinsed.
              > > One dozen dried juniper berries.
              > > 1/4 pound lean bacon
              > > flour
              > > white wine (save some to pour into yourself)

              --------------------
              > > Get an iron dutch oven and heat it well, browning the ribs in canola or
              something
              > > like that - butter works, until well-browned.
              > > Add the drained sauerkraut, juniper berries and a 1 1/2 cup white wine.
              Cover
              > > and simmer for, perhaps, two hours or so.
              > > (Forget the "apple thing" - the Germans do that) Fresh ground pepper's
              OK, and I
              > > usually throw in a small handful of whole peppercorns.
              > >
              > > Now, render the bacon in a frying fan until it's crispy. Remove the
              bacon, drain
              > > on towels, and chop it up. Remove all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease
              and add
              > > 1/4 cup of flour, tending this constantly to make a medium-dark roux -
              gotta be
              > > careful here so you don't burn the roux. If you burn the roux, start
              over and
              > > render more bacon. Never use overheated bacon grease in a roux.
              > >
              > > NOW, return the bacon bits to the saurkraut mix along with the roux.
              If it needs
              > > to be thinned, add a bit of wine.
              > >
              > > Warm and serve with good bread, wine and friends.
              > >
              > > Nothing better.
              > >
              > > Paul Wolsko

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • capt jack
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
                Paul,

                Just ike my mother used to make, brought back memories. She used to add some caraway seeds to the sourkraut, it was soooooo good.

                JIm

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
                  Paul, thanks for the recipe. Just by chance I happen to have country-style
                  ribs and sauerkraut on hand, and was wondering how to prepare them.

                  B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)