Juniper berries

  • barbbaba
    Message 1 of 10 , May 30, 2003
      I was reading some Slovak recipes and they called for Juniper
      berries...excuse my ignorance...but where would I get them? and what sort of
      flavor do they have? and do I NEED them?

      I thought Juniper berried were used to make Gin?
      Barbara - Uprooting family trees
      in Sacramento
    • Jan Lan
      Message 2 of 10 , May 30, 2003
        At 07:56 PM 5/30/2003 -0700, you wrote:
        >I was reading some Slovak recipes and they called for Juniper
        >berries...excuse my ignorance...but where would I get them? and what sort of
        >flavor do they have? and do I NEED them?

        http://www.culinarycafe.com/Spices_Herbs/Juniper_Berries.html

        I've got a few juniper bushes covered with them. Paul W. harvests his uses
        them for cooking.

        >I thought Juniper berried were used to make Gin?

        Yep and:

        "Have you tried the Slovak version of juniper juice, Borovicka?
        http://www.slovakia.org/society-alcohol.htm Janko"

        "Borovicka (distilled from juniper berries) was popular
        especially in the former Spis County, with Spisska Nova Ves and Kezmarok
        being major suppliers... Martin"

        Janko
      • Mary
        Message 3 of 10 , May 31, 2003
          You can also get dried juniper berries in the spice island of your grocery
          store. My pork and sauerkraut recipe calls for juniper berries. I don't
          know what flavor they add, but I always include them.

          Mary Westbrook

          >I was reading some Slovak recipes and they called for Juniper
          >berries...excuse my ignorance...but where would I get them? and what
          >sort of flavor do they have? and do I NEED them?

          http://www.culinarycafe.com/Spices_Herbs/Juniper_Berries.html

          I've got a few juniper bushes covered with them. Paul W. harvests his uses
          them for cooking.

          >I thought Juniper berried were used to make Gin?

          Yep and:

          "Have you tried the Slovak version of juniper juice, Borovicka?
          http://www.slovakia.org/society-alcohol.htm Janko"

          "Borovicka (distilled from juniper berries) was popular especially in the
          former Spis County, with Spisska Nova Ves and Kezmarok being major
          suppliers... Martin"

          Janko

          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Get
          A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/KDdolB/TM
        • Dr. Joe Q
          Message 4 of 10 , May 31, 2003
            The juniper berries used for cooking are sold in
            grocery stores. They are supposed to be different
            from the berry used to make gin, but they are related
            like crab apples vs. Granny Smith apples. They do
            have a very mild flavor and I've used them when
            cooking sauerkraut.

            Dr. "Q"

            Message 5 of 10 , May 31, 2003
              At 07:01 AM 31/05/2003 -0400, you wrote:
              >You can also get dried juniper berries in the spice island of your grocery
              >store. My pork and sauerkraut recipe calls for juniper berries. I don't
              >know what flavor they add, but I always include them.
              >
              >Mary Westbrook

              Juniper berries are what gives gin its taste.

              Nick

            • Lil M. Junas
              Message 6 of 10 , May 31, 2003
                You can find them in natural foods stores. And yes, juniper is used to make gin.
                lj

                From: "barbbaba" <barbbaba@...>
                Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 19:56:10 -0700

                >I was reading some Slovak recipes and they called for Juniper
                >berries...excuse my ignorance...but where would I get them? and what sort of
                >flavor do they have? and do I NEED them?
                >
                >I thought Juniper berried were used to make Gin?
                >Barbara - Uprooting family trees
                >in Sacramento

              • Gregory J Kopchak
                Message 7 of 10 , May 31, 2003
                  You can read about some Juniper superstitions at

                  http://www.iarelative.com/shop/jewelry.htm

                  Greg Kopchak
                  It's All Relative

                  >I was reading some Slovak recipes and they called for Juniper
                  >berries...excuse my ignorance...but where would I get them? and what sort
                  of
                  >flavor do they have? and do I NEED them?
                  >
                  >I thought Juniper berried were used to make Gin?
                  >Barbara - Uprooting family trees
                  >in Sacramento

                • Paul J. Wolsko
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 31, 2003
                    I put about a dozen dried juniper berries into the mix when I make pork and
                    sauerkraut. They impart a, wonderful, distinctive aroma and a slightly
                    bitter taste. There is no substitute for them.

                    Paul

                    > You can find them in natural foods stores. And yes, juniper is used to
                    make gin.
                    > lj
                  • Paul J. Wolsko
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 31, 2003
                      I sure do harvest them. I generally spend a few hours with mu juniper
                      bushes in late fall, when they're just about all dried out and easy to pick.
                      Then I wind up with a rash all over my arms - for some reason, the needles
                      in the junipers stick me and I react to something. I simply throw them in a
                      zip-lock bag and keep them with my other spices. A few ounces go a long way.
                      As a suggestion, whenever you boil pork, throw in a dozen or so. Nothing
                      like it!

                      Paul W.

                      > I've got a few juniper bushes covered with them. Paul W. harvests his
                      uses
                      > them for cooking.
                    • Paul J. Wolsko
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 31, 2003
                        If you DON'T use the juniper berries, the recipe won't be authentic. Must
                        be a pork dish.

                        Paul