Re: 100 years ago today... - rather, 102

  • JohnS
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 9, 2012
      Do you have any suggested reading for this event? My then 14 year old grandfather was working in those mines at the time as well as my great grandfather Imrich. Grandpap once told me how grateful he was for John L. Lewis because without him he would not have his $100 a month pension. This was in the late 60s.

      Imrich died in a roof collapse at the Calumet mine in 1918. And grandpap Stephen was nearly killed in 1952 at the Carpentertown mine after being caught underground for 3 days following an explosion. Yep, the good old days!

      John
      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 9, 2012
        > any suggested reading for this event?

        Not with a specific focus on Slovak-Americans. Just for interest's sake, here's a contemporary expert review of the strike after its end:

        <http://tinyurl.com/7vs4vhs>

        Otherwise, the strike is addressed in a variety of sources.

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 9, 2012
          There are many goons.  Some are chameleons.

          May those killed rest in peace & be remembered by their descendants.

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 9, 2012
            Both of my Grandfathers were involved in that one. Vaguely remember stories of the families being thrown out of company houses and Grandma (can't remember which one) being upset because her scissors were broken when they threw their belongings out on the street.

            Jack Gergely
            Newport News

            .

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 20, 2012