Re: 100 years ago today... - rather, 102

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 9, 2012
      > On March 9, 1912, the Westmoreland County (Pa.) Coal
      > Strike – known in history as the "Slovak strike"
      [...]
      > Fight like hell for the living."

      To fight for facts, the Westmoreland "Slovak Strike" started 102 years ago today, on March 9, 1910.

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 9, 2012
        You even correct the deceased.

        Were any of your friends or students hurt in the attacks the other day, Doctor?  The injured & their friends & relatives are in my prayers.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 9, 2012
          > Were any of your friends or students hurt in the attacks

          Thanks for asking, Chuck. It's our spring break, which may have prevented more casualties. It was quite dramatic for those on campus -- everyone received emergency messages, the university was "locked down," people were told to stay "securely in" if they could, things stayed that way for over two hours.

          Martin
        • JohnS
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 9, 2012
            Do you have any suggested reading for this event? My then 14 year old grandfather was working in those mines at the time as well as my great grandfather Imrich. Grandpap once told me how grateful he was for John L. Lewis because without him he would not have his $100 a month pension. This was in the late 60s.

            Imrich died in a roof collapse at the Calumet mine in 1918. And grandpap Stephen was nearly killed in 1952 at the Carpentertown mine after being caught underground for 3 days following an explosion. Yep, the good old days!

            John
            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 9, 2012
              > any suggested reading for this event?

              Not with a specific focus on Slovak-Americans. Just for interest's sake, here's a contemporary expert review of the strike after its end:

              <http://tinyurl.com/7vs4vhs>

              Otherwise, the strike is addressed in a variety of sources.

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 9, 2012
                There are many goons.  Some are chameleons.

                May those killed rest in peace & be remembered by their descendants.

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 9, 2012
                  Both of my Grandfathers were involved in that one. Vaguely remember stories of the families being thrown out of company houses and Grandma (can't remember which one) being upset because her scissors were broken when they threw their belongings out on the street.

                  Jack Gergely
                  Newport News

                  .

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 20, 2012