Music from the Heart of Europe" concert

  • dragansk
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2012
      From the Slovak Heritage Association of the Laurel Highlands ...

      Please plan on joining SHALH for "Music from the Heart of Europe," a concert of spiritual and traditional songs presented by a very talented group of young musicians from the Bratislava State Conservatory. The concert will be held at Christ the Saviour Educational Center, 307 Garfield Ave., Johnstown, PA 15906 on Tuesday, March 13, 2012, at 7:00 PM. Tickets are $8 for adults and $4 for children 12 and under.

      Also see us on Facebook.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2012
        Thank you for this notice.  Items like this make me regret being laid off & having to move even further from PA.  And I used to feel sorry for myself being in NC.  Now I am 12 hrs further south.

        ... guess I didn't know how good I had it.

        I hope to make one of these events one day.  Please continue to keep us posted.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 10, 2012
          Bratislava Conservatory to present evening of opera at Wyoming Seminary

          Wyoming Seminary will present "An Evening at the Opera and More" on Thursday, March 15 at 7:00 p.m. in the Great Hall of Wyoming Seminary. Performers from the Bratislava State Conservatory of Music are, from left: Dana Hajóssy, accompanist; baritone Igor Loskár, soprano Alena Vacíková, tenor Patrik Hornák, soprano Janka Feríková, violinist Anabela Patkoló and her mother Aniko Patkoló.

          Selections from some of the world's greatest operas and operettas will be featured during a special concert on Thursday, March 15 at 7:00 p.m. in the Great Hall of Wyoming Seminary, 228 N. Wyoming Avenue, Kingston.

          The concert, titled "An Evening at the Opera and More," will feature outstanding student musicians from the Bratislava State Conservatory of Music in Bratislava, Slovakia and is free and open to the public.

          Among the performers is a 12-year-old violin virtuoso and singer, Anabela Patkoló, a winner of many international competitions, including the Paganini International Competition where she was awarded the silver medal at the age of six. She is accompanied by her mother, Aniko Patkoló, who is famous in Slovak concert life, television programs and the Viennese concert halls.

          The group of artists also includes soprano Alena Vacíková, soloist in the State Opera; tenor Patrik Hornák, a noted clarinetist and recording artist known for his interpretation of Slovak folk music and Italian cansonettas; soprano Janka Feríková, originally from Romania who performs throughout Europe; and baritone Igor Loskár, who has performed internationally.

          The singers will be performing arias and duets from favorite operas and operettas by Mozart, Verdi, Tchaikovsky, Smetana, Dvorák, Puccini, Donizetti, Strauss, Offenbach and Lehár. Patkoló also will present violin music of Paganini.

          This performance is sponsored by Wyoming Seminary and the Slovak Heritage Society of Northeast Pennsylvania, which will present the musicians in a concert titled "An Evening of Sacred and Slovak Folk Music" on Friday, March 16 at 7:00 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church in Wilkes-Barre.

          World Artists Experiences is presenting the performers in the United States in partnership with the Embassy of Slovakia and in cooperation with Heritage Baptist Church in Annapolis, Md. The performers also will appear in New York, Pittsburgh, Salisbury and Baltimore.

          For more information about the performance "An Evening at the Opera and More," contact the Wyoming Seminary communications office at 270-2192.
        • dragansk
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 10, 2012
            Not much close to NC, but this Slovak group is also performing in Maryland tonight:
            March 8 Salisbury University, Salisbury, MD
            March 10, Frostburg State University, Frostburg, MD
            March 13 Johnstown
            March 15 Wilkes Barre
            March 16 Wilkes Barre