Wash. DC area, March 17: The Linden and the Oak: A Rusyn Novel Comes to Life

  • vchromoho
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2012
      The Linden and the Oak: A Rusyn Novel Comes to Life

      Author Mark Wansa will discuss the use of genealogy and family memories in writing a historical novel.

      The Linden and the Oak is a popular novel about two Carpatho-Rusyn families in a village of northeastern Slovakia, caught up in the tidal waves of World War I, revolution, and emigration from the Old Country to America.

      A Joint Presentation of
      The Slovak-American Society of Washington
      &
      The Carpatho-Rusyn Society, National Capital Chapter

      Saturday, March 17, 2012 – 2:00 P.M.

      Braddock District Governmental Center
      9002 Burke Lake Road
      Burke, Virginia

      Directions:
      From I-495, take the VA-620 W/Braddock Rd West exit, EXIT 54A. Keep right at the fork to go on Braddock Rd (VA-620 W). Drive on Braddock Rd. about two miles. Gradually move into the left lane. When you see Holy Spirit Catholic Church on the right, you should be in the left lane to turn left onto Burke Lake Rd (VA 645). On Burke Lake Rd., the Kings Park Shopping Center will be on the right. You should be in the right lane. Go through the next traffic light at Rolling Road. The Braddock District Governmental Center will be just ahead on the right.
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2012
        I will recommend both the talk (which I attended years ago in Cleveland) and the book.

        My sister was generous enough to buy a copy for each branch of our immediate family, aiming it particularly at those who will read a novel but not boring history. I wrote up specific similarities in the book with our families from Slovakia - and ended up with 3 pages of these details.

        That is the one time we had most everyone in the family discussing the life of our ancestors.

        Ron

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9, 2012
          Boring history?

          hmmmmm....