Ethnicity and relgions in Slovakia - 2011 census

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2012
      > Would anyone know where I could find the official
      > percentages/statistics for religious affiliations
      > in Slovakia for the 2010 Slovak census?
      > Thanks--Jerry Sabo.

      There was no 2010 census, the Slovak census years end in -1. The first results of the 2011 census have just been released.

      The following percentages of people declared these main ethnicities:

      Slovak 80.7 percent; Hungarian 8.5; Romani (Gypsy) 2; Rusyn 0.6 + Ukrainian 0.1; Czech 0.6 + Moravian 0.1; no ethnicity given 7 percent.

      As opposed to the traditional local groups, those declaring Czech and Moravian ethnicity are mostly people who migrated to Slovakia during their lifetimes. Experts and Romani activists estimate that without the negative attitudes to the Roma, 7-10 percent of the inhabitants of Slovakia might be ready to identify as Roma in the census (most of those people currently give their ethnicity as Slovak or Hungarian, some perhaps don't answer the question).

      Slovakia's religions according to the 2011 census are here (scroll down):

      <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slovaklutheranhistory.html>

      On the whole, the percentages of people declaring a religion have dropped, the percentage of people identifying as non-religious grew marginally, the main growth was among those who did not profess a faith (from 3 percent in 2001 to 10.6 percent in 2011).