Re: [Slovak-World] Treasures of Slovakia Celebration Tour July 7 - 16

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26 10:31 AM
      A cultural immersion trip to Slovakia - north to south and east to west - is set for July 7 - 16 - it's the 24th Treasures of Slovakia Celebration Tour as it will be the 75th tour we have led.

      The trip includes colorful Detva Folk Festival with folk dancing and folk craft and Slovakia's unique fujara named a UNESCO treasure; the annual Crafts Festival in Kezmarok with 180 exhibitors, folk dancing and super local foods; chair lift ride to a Tatra peak; raft ride on the Dunajec River in glorious Pieniny Gorge on the Polish border with legends and sighting the rare black stork; tour of Cerveny Klastor Museum and visit Monk Cyprian's herbarium (this healer, botanist, inventor, explorer and Renaissance man created a device and actually flew from a Tatra peak in the 1700s - he's the focus of a current Slovak film); tour of historic castles - Spis, Humenne, Michalovce, Trencin and Devin Castles and something new - a butterfly and wildflower walk where you can see more than a dozen varieties of each.

      A highlight of the Celebration Tour - village parties with food and wedding customs in eastern and western Slovakia, plus feast in a koliba with cymbal music, dance at a Goral party in Zdiar with mountain peaks all around; and wine tastings. The trip includes tours of Bratislava, Kosice - love the Singing Fountain, Presov, Michalovce, Humenne, and two medieval walled towns Levoca and Bardejov (2 night stay and visits to a  200 year old, icon-filled wooden church and the skansen museum of log homes that showcase life long-ago.)

      Also included visits to village craftspeople such as a famed potter near Michalovce where you can pick your plates off the wall and try your hand at the potter's wheel and to a Liptov woman who dresses dolls in authentic folk dress and sings the old songs.

      This is our 75th tour - so on the Treasures Celebration Tour we will be toasting with everything from Slovak champagne and wonderful wine and beer to slivovica and Slovakia's own herb liqueur Demanovka and the rare black currant wine made in only one village. Breakfasts are substantial buffets with many Slovak specialties and our dinners are chosen to include many of the village foods we fondly remember from childhood family celebrations.

      The trip costs $1,999 for the land part and includes 2 substantial meals each day plus admissions to museums, castles and special events. Everything is included - no add ons. An additional two nights in Prague with local guide is available at $399 and what's odd is the air fare into Vienna and out of Prague is running a good bit less than flying round trip to Vienna. We help our travelers find good flights. We get many repeaters on our trips - a retired history teacher is coming for his 10th trip with us and a couple who were on this very trip 20 years ago are signed on. We are known for individualizing for special needs and desires.

      A highlight of our trips is finding long-lost family - we have a 98% success rate and can arrange for English speaking driver/guides   who are also genealogists and take travelers for a day or more to their ancestral villages. Important to get this going way in advance so the family can gather from all over Slovakia and in some cases the young people come home from their EU jobs to welcome their long-lost family.

      For a day by day itinerary (just click on the tour name) or to read about our other tour offerings this summer - go to www.our-Slovakia.com

      e-mail me at helenezx@... or call toll free 888-529-7150.