Re: Expulsion from the Slovak side

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 25, 2012
      > I have friends in Dlhé Straze, near Levoca. The village
      > was settled during the 2nd half, 13th century by Germans.
      [...]
      > the Habani History. I have friends in Vel´ké Leváre,
      > where some of the original, (steep roof), homes are preserved.

      Yes, Vilo. Two quite different stories of the history of Slovakia's population. Germans came to Spis County, which includes Dlhe Straze, in the 13th-15th century, as you say. It was after the Mongol (often called "Tatar") invasion of 1241-1242 that caused so much damage and deaths in Europe. King Bela IV then awarded a lot of noble titles (along with land) to those who helped defend him. That's a key period when the noble rank of the zeman:

      <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/zemannobilis.html>

      ... became so common among the Slovaks. The nobility wanted people who would pay them taxes, so they, along with Bela IV, looked around and found Germans interested to come to their unsettled or freshly depopulated lands. That was a main period when Slovakia's tradition of self-governing villages began:

      <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/contractualvillagesslovakiahungary.html>

      The Habans in Velke Levare have an entirely different history. They were Hutterites who found refuge in the Zahorie region from religious persecution in Germany in the 16th-17th centuries. By that time, most of the Germas of Spis had called the Kingdom their home for hundreds of years.

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 26, 2012
        Thank you, Douglas, for a question that prompted a fascinating thread here w/ lots of tangents & information!

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 27, 2012
          Always a pleasure. I hope i havnt offended anybody as i know the Slovak people suffered terribly. However, if anybody has any personal stories etc id very much like to hear them.

          Douglas