Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Reviving our Slovak Heratage

    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 16, 2012
      Thank you, so much.  Fascinating.

      ________________________________
      From: votrubam <votrubam@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:13 PM
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Reviving our Slovak Heratage

      > Speaking of these Saints [Cyril & Methodius], Martin...
      > do you recommend a book of the historical account,
      > as opposed to a religious account, of their travels & adventures?

      There's little in English that's not naive or propagandist (Bulgarian, Greek, Slovak, Czech...). And what (formerly) meaningful there is, is rather dated by now, e.g., passages in:

      <http://tinyurl.com/7e88x9e> -- click on p. 205

      Plus the intro to the chapter on Clement of Ohrid in _Six Byzantine Portraits_ by the same author. And passages in:

      <http://books.google.com/books?id=aKEaAAAAIAAJ>

      We're waiting for Ben, with degrees in Byzantine studies in hand, to write "C&M: The True Story" in English.

      As an aside, there's going to be an "illustrated lecture" about Cyril and Methodius in Central Europe in Pittsburgh (Mount Lebanon) on Monday, March 5. I'll post the details later.

      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 16, 2012