Reviving our Slovak Heratage

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 13, 2012
      Our Slovak Church , St. Anthony of Padua, (Johnstown, NY), was closed in 2009, just before our planned Slovak night, which was cancelled.  Also closed was our Italian Church of the Immaculate Conception.  We all are now Joined as the Church of Holy Trinity, attending the former St. Patrick's.

      The Italian Parishioners have accepted the closing but our Slovaks who number many more, have not.  Most are now attending other Churches outside the City.

      I have tried very hard to bring them together and to continue to keep our heritage alive, reminding them that we are still Catholic and still Slovak but their hurt continues.  Our Pastor Fr. Thomas Morrete, agreed to host our Slovak Celebration and asked if we would agree to hold it on the Saturday before the feast of St. Cyril and Methodius, (February 11th).  Father donated the money for our food and some of our parishioners baked an made our traditional potato salad.

      The Mass was very well attended and I read the second Reading in Slovak and English.

      We we had only 10 volunteers but managed to serve 130 people,making it a success.

      Our hope is that the news of this success will convince our Slovaks to once again, come together and keep our Heritage alive.

      We are the last group, in the upstate New York, to Celebrate our Slovak Heritage.

      I am posting this in order that Slovaks in other areas whose parishes have been closed due to a lack of priests, might copy us in order to bring their Slovak populations together and keep our heritage alive.

      The following is an article from the online newspaper Zahorie, concerning an attemp to preserve the past heritage in Kúty.  I was contacted by them to find if I could ask our people for photos of people in kroje.  They are working in conjunction with the Zahorske Muzeum in Skalica.

      Now you can see there are places in Slovakia where the old culture might be dying due to modernization.

      Hope I didn't bore you with this.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 16, 2012