Re: [Slovak-World] Summer Slovak Studies Program

  • Matchett
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2012
      I took the 3 week course at Comenius University (Institute for Language and Academic Preparation for Foreign Students) in Bratislava in 2002.

      I applied and was accepted. The dormitory cost $80 back then for the 3 weeks. Meals for $1 were in the canteen in the basement and classes were on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the dorm. I forgot what the tuition/books cost, but it was a lot cheaper than taking a 3 week vacation in America.

      The class is rather fast paced. I was accustomed to the Zahorie dialect so learning real Slovak was a challenge. There were students from 26 countries--a composer from Italy, an EPA guy from Holland, a Missionary from the US, a cave explorer from France, an Englishman married to a Slovak, a Vietnamese man with a shop in the city--in my class of 11 students. They all spoke English! There were about five other classes more advanced than mine.

      I enjoyed being in Bratislava and explored the city when I had time. It was a neat experience and I wish it had been a six week course.

      Julia M.

      On Feb 11, 2012, at 1:54 PM, genmom4 wrote:

      > Is anyone familiar with the 3 week Summer Slovak Studies Program in Bratislava?
      >
      > The August program is too late in the summer, running through the 25 of August at Comenius University: http://www.fphil.uniba.sk/index.php?id=899
      >
      > I found a similar program in July: http://www.cdvuk.sk/blade/index.php?c=351&about-the-summer-university-of-slovak-language
      >
      > but I am confused as to who runs the program and where it takes place in Bratislava.
      >
      > If anyone has any helpful advice on this 3 week course, I would really appreciate hearing from you.
      >
      > Barbara.

    • genmom4
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 19, 2012
        Dear Vladimer,

        I attempted to e-mail the woman whom you listed in this post, but have not received a response.

        I'm looking for a summer 3 week program which will be earlier in the summer. The August 5 through 25 doesn't work, since classes begin the following Monday in the US.

        I'm still confused about the difference between the two programs that I listed in the original query.

        http://www.cdvuk.sk/blade/index.php?c=351&about-the-summer-university-of-slovak-language>http://www.cdvuk.sk/blade/index.php?c=351&about-the-summer-university-of-slovak-language

        and http://www.fphil.uniba.sk/index.php?id=899

        I do appreciate your help.

        Barbara