Re: Retirement in Slovakia and EU

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 6, 2012
      > Slovakia has been paying tons of money to Brussels for years.
      > And for what?

      It's been the other way up to now, Chuck. Brussels has been paying tons of money to Slovakia since even before it joined the European Union. And since it joined, Slovakia has been getting much more money from Brussels than it has been paying to it. This is the first time that Slovakia is asked to support another EU member.

      > Another possible alternative is to allow Greece to exit the Euro

      It's not a question of allowing them, Greece can exit any time it decides to (while the eurozone does not have an established mechanism to kick it out). It certainly is a possibility that has been discussed with increasing frequency since the problems became apparent (although it was widely suspected that Greece was fudging its books even at the time it was accepted into the eurozone).

      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 16, 2012
        Thank you, so much.  Fascinating.