Who Do You Think You Are - Martin Sheen

  • Joe Armata
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 4, 2012
      The first episode of Who Do You Think You Are featured Martin Sheen
      discovering that his ggggGrandfather Don Diego on one branch of his
      family tree was a judge who prosecuted his ggggGrandmother Antonia on
      another branch. This was presented as astonishing and remarkable.

      Actually, as I think about it, it's probably very common. If each
      generation included 4 children, all of them reproducing, by the time it
      got down to Martin Sheen's parents' generation, there'd be over 1,000
      descendants each for Diego and Antonia. That's a lot of possible matches
      between the two lines.

      Add in that Don Diego was a judge, and must have prosecuted many
      hundreds if not thousands of people during his career, then the pool of
      descendants from everyone Diego ever prosecuted must have been
      astronomical in Martin Sheen's parents' time. It seems to me that many
      (even most?) people descended from Don Diego would be able to trace a
      branch back to someone he prosecuted.

      Am I thinking straight here?

      Joe
    • Donna Lachney
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 4, 2012
        Joe.
        That was a great show.  I really enjoyed watching Martin Sheen and watching his delight in finding about all his past relatives.   I know how I would feel traveling around Slovakia to visit relatives and finding all about them.  Don Diego sure got around.  Everything you said sure is the truth about the Sheen family, how canny.

        Donna

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 10, 2012
          I remember that game so well - I played it with my children and grandchildren....it is my understanding that the "svitch im du pekla" means something like "throw it in the stove"....lol...go figure!!

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amymemom" <amymemom@...> wrote:

          > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Sue <AltoClar@> wrote:
          > >
          > > My family used to do something to us when we were kids, with our hands, similar to "This Little Piggy Went to Market", but it was in Slovak (or Czech maybe). All I remember is that it involved Mama stirring the pot and cutting one's head off. Does anybody know the words (and the translation) to this??
          > >
          > > This is what I remember - with the toes - (phonetically)starting with the big toe:
          > Hudoshek
          > Bubushek
          > Sochy Vosik
          > Dinishuk
          > Aten stady pishuk tickling little toe) - svitch im du pekla
          >
          > I hope I didn't kill the language!!!!

        • amymemom
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 10, 2012
            Not to mention that Don Diego had 5 illegitimate children by Antonia and was quite the ladies man.....
            It must be in the blood....