Re: Reading some handwriting in Church Records

  • jusufzemplin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2012
      Regarding "Fias" - probably it can be Fijaš - close to Giraltovce http://g.co/maps/3dy89 .
      Some history here http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sk&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sk&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-obce.sk%2Fobec%2Ffijas%2F2-historia.html&act=url

      But I tried to fix some errors :
      "The settlement occurred late Eneolith and early Bronze Age - a group East Slovakian mound. The village is documented from 1414 as Fyas later as Fiass (1618), Fyassice (1808), Fijaš (1927), in Hungarian Fias.

      The village was founded according in the territory right emfyteutic (a kind of hereditary lease of land) dominion Radoma at the end of the 14th century. It belonged to the nobility Makovica. In 1427 there was 10. portas

      At the end of the 15th century after the invasions of the Polish troops village was depopulated. In 1787 it had 25 houses and 181 inhabitants in 1828 had 34 houses and 253 inhabitants. Dealt with the shepherds and the work in forests. In the 19th century, Ban-family had property in the village.

      In the time of I. CSR people worked mostly in forests, partially in agriculture. Later they worked as private farmers. Part of the population worked in industrial plants in Bardejov Giraltovce and forestry."

      Source: Vlastivedný slovník obcí na Slovensku,, part 1