Re: Belle of the Ball - Spisska Nova Ves

  • amymemom
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 25, 2012
      My mother emigrated in the early 1900's and I believe she was born in the Spis region - does anyone have any helpful hints as to how to go about her history - I don't even kow the specific town but somehow I think it is Spiska Noa Ves. Any ideas would be certainly appreciated.
      Thanx

    • byza7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 25, 2012
        Amy,

        Both my matriarchal and patriarchal sides of my family had roots from Spiska Nova Ves. That name to me relates to a large area like a county would be to us Americans.

        My personal opininon is that a person really needs to get specific with the exact village name. I was fortunate enough to have a copy of my matriarchal grandmothers baptism/chrismation certificate. Also, a historical family tree time line that my late uncle composed.

        The key is the village name.

        David Novak

        My mother emigrated in the early 1900's and I believe she was born in the Spis region - does anyone have any helpful hints as to how to go about her history - I don't even kow the specific town but somehow I think it is Spiska Noa Ves. Any ideas would be certainly appreciated.
        Thanx

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

        > http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204542404577156600990713424.html
        >

        > ________________________________

      • amymemom
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 25, 2012
          Therein lies the problem...I have gone through Ellis Island ship's manifests and it tells me that she came in on October 31, 1908 - the ship being the Rhine and from the port of Bremen...that's as far as I can get..
          Thx for your suggestions - I will continue to research..

          Amy..

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, byza7@... wrote:

          > Amy,
          >
          > Both my matriarchal and patriarchal sides of my family had roots from Spiska Nova Ves. That name to me relates to a large area like a county would be to us Americans.
          >
          > My personal opininon is that a person really needs to get specific with the exact village name. I was fortunate enough to have a copy of my matriarchal grandmothers baptism/chrismation certificate. Also, a historical family tree time line that my late uncle composed.
          >
          > The key is the village name.
          >
          > David Novak

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 25, 2012