Happy New Year

  • joy2002cjm
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 1, 2012
      Happy New Year ALL!! Best wishes for good health, happiness and a year full of God's best and blessings!!

      Carolyn
    • John J. Nadzam
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 1, 2012
        Thanx....and Ditto!

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 1, 2012
          I have a story for all of you at Slovak-World. My 91 year old dad had
          been ill so we gathered family together on Christmas Eve. He said the
          prayers at dinner and we brought him back home, tucked him in, and told
          him we loved him. He got up and saw the sunrise on Christmas Day, had
          breakfast, and then he stood in the living room looking into the
          distance. All through Christmas Eve dinner he had been saying that
          "Lil" (Lillian Sabanosh, my mom who passed away ten years earlier) was
          with him. He would say, ask Lil what you want me to do with these
          Christmas sweaters, and will there be room for Lil here next to me?
          Then he had an urge to disrobe and walk but he thought he should lay
          down instead. He then passed quietly right after that. He was a
          staunch Christian and we had the services in the church still
          resplendent with pointsettias and Christmas trees and wreaths.
          Although we will miss him, he was with Jesus on Christmas Day. That is
          my Christmas story. Happy New Year to you, Marianne Herrmann

          Happy New Year ALL!! Best wishes for good health, happiness and a year
          full of God's best and blessings!!

          Carolyn

        • Marycay Doolittle
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 1, 2012
            Marianne,

            So sorry for the loss of your dear dad. Your story is touching. My dad died on Christmas Eve '01 and had the beautiful Christmas decorations etc for his funeral.

            Your story reminded me of my mom who died on Nov 20, 09 just shy of age 93. That fall she told me her sister was there and she didn't know why because Elisabeth had been dead for so long having died at age 17. Another time she said my grandmother who died in '76 was there visiting and again she didn't know why, and the same thing with one of her brothers. Days before her death she said that her mother, father, my dad and others who went before her were standing at the bottom of her bed and again she said she didn't know why they were all there. I assume she was near to passing and they were there to help her on her journey. To me it was a beautiful thing to hear even though it seemed to annoy my mom somewhat, as she really didn't want to leave her time on earth with those that loved her and she loved.

            Thank you for your story and for jogging my memory.

            Marycay

            Happy New Year ALL!! Best wishes for good health, happiness and a year
            full of God's best and blessings!!

            Carolyn

          • Bobbi J. Town
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 1, 2012
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 2, 2012
                Marianne, I am sorry to hear of your loss. It is always hard to lose someone you love. I am glad your father passed peacefully. What a beautiful story of the last hours of his life on Christmas day. I pray God is with you and your family in a very special way through this time.

                Carolyn

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Herrmann <memzommi1@...> wrote:

                > I have a story for all of you at Slovak-World. My 91 year old dad had
                > been ill so we gathered family together on Christmas Eve. He said the
                > prayers at dinner and we brought him back home, tucked him in, and told
                > him we loved him. He got up and saw the sunrise on Christmas Day, had
                > breakfast, and then he stood in the living room looking into the
                > distance. All through Christmas Eve dinner he had been saying that
                > "Lil" (Lillian Sabanosh, my mom who passed away ten years earlier) was
                > with him. He would say, ask Lil what you want me to do with these
                > Christmas sweaters, and will there be room for Lil here next to me?
                > Then he had an urge to disrobe and walk but he thought he should lay
                > down instead. He then passed quietly right after that. He was a
                > staunch Christian and we had the services in the church still
                > resplendent with pointsettias and Christmas trees and wreaths.
                > Although we will miss him, he was with Jesus on Christmas Day. That is
                > my Christmas story. Happy New Year to you, Marianne Herrmann

              • Marycay Doolittle
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 2, 2012
                  Thanks Bobbi. My mom saw those that went before her months before she actually passed so I guess they were getting her ready.

                  Oh those lucky folks receiving kolacky. My sister-in-law and I were talking about making some together so I can learn the technique. In the past mine weren't so and neither were hers, but she tried again this year and they came out great so she'll now teach me. I'm so looking forward to it, the ones I bought on line were so so, nothing like the real homemade kind I guess.

                  Happy New Year
                  Marycay

                  Happy New Year ALL!! Best wishes for good health, happiness and a year
                  full of God's best and blessings!!

                  Carolyn

                • George Sirko
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 2, 2012
                    Belated Happy New Year To All.
                     My wife lost her youngest Brother to cancer on December 31st., so we are trying
                    to cope with that right now.

                    George and Nola

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 3, 2012
                      George & Nola,

                      I'm sorry for your loss. I pray that you find peace at this difficult time.

                      Marycay

                      Happy New Year ALL!! Best wishes for good health, happiness and a year
                      full of God's best and blessings!!

                      Carolyn

                    • Greg
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 4, 2012
                        Marianne

                        We share in your sorrow.

                        My brother had a heart attack on Christmas eve last year.

                        He died two days later.

                        I never got into the Christmas spirit in 2011.

                        Greg

                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Marycay Doolittle" <marycayd@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks Bobbi. My mom saw those that went before her months before she actually passed so I guess they were getting her ready.
                        >
                        > Oh those lucky folks receiving kolacky. My sister-in-law and I were talking about making some together so I can learn the technique. In the past mine weren't so and neither were hers, but she tried again this year and they came out great so she'll now teach me. I'm so looking forward to it, the ones I bought on line were so so, nothing like the real homemade kind I guess.
                        >
                        > Happy New Year
                        > Marycay

                      • Marianne Herrmann
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 4, 2012
                          Thank you so much for your kind condolences and for sharing your
                          stories. I sympathize and feel your pain also. Why does it always
                          help when others go through similar if not the same experiences? It
                          does really help. It just makes you feel like you can get through it
                          if someone else did. Thanks again and you are all in my prayers for a
                          much happier Christmas and holiday season for next year. Fondly,
                          Marianne Herrmann

                          wrote:

                          > Thanks Bobbi. My mom saw those that went before her months before
                          she actually passed so I guess they were getting her ready.

                          > Oh those lucky folks receiving kolacky. My sister-in-law and I were
                          talking about making some together so I can learn the technique. In
                          the past mine weren't so and neither were hers, but she tried again
                          this year and they came out great so she'll now teach me. I'm so
                          looking forward to it, the ones I bought on line were so so, nothing
                          like the real homemade kind I guess.

                          > Happy New Year
                          > Marycay

                        • Greg
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 4, 2012
                            While we live in an area where Slovaks are a
                            minority....

                            A grocery store in St. Louis sent out a flyer
                            last week..

                            The two items that caught my attention were...

                            Vita herring in Wine

                            Vita herring and cream sauce..

                            Greg

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "joy2002cjm" <joy2002cjm@...> wrote:

                            > Happy New Year ALL!! Best wishes for good health, happiness and a year full of God's best and blessings!!
                            >
                            > Carolyn

                          • Bikes 4 Life customer
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 4, 2012
                              Hi Greg,
                              Do you watch hockey and the Blues? My wife is very proud to be a second cousin for Jaroslav. We go to the Pavilion when the Blues come to town to play the Sharks. Still waiting for him to be traded to SJ....
                              --Adam

                              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

                              > While we live in an area where Slovaks are a
                              > minority....
                              >
                              > A grocery store in St. Louis sent out a flyer
                              > last week..
                              >
                              > The two items that caught my attention were...
                              >
                              > Vita herring in Wine
                              >
                              > Vita herring and cream sauce..
                              >
                              > Greg
                              >

                              > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "joy2002cjm" <joy2002cjm@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Happy New Year ALL!! Best wishes for good health, happiness and a year full of God's best and blessings!!
                              > >
                              > > Carolyn

                            • Bikes 4 Life customer
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 4, 2012
                                Oh also she is making a fish paste out of canned sardines.
                                The grocery stores in Slovakia have that paste. It's a bit like tuna salad but served on small pies of bread and not like a sandwich.

                                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Bikes 4 Life customer" <adam_martin@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Greg,
                                > Do you watch hockey and the Blues? My wife is very proud to be a second cousin for Jaroslav. We go to the Pavilion when the Blues come to town to play the Sharks. Still waiting for him to be traded to SJ....
                                > --Adam
                                >
                                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > While we live in an area where Slovaks are a
                                > > minority....
                                > >
                                > > A grocery store in St. Louis sent out a flyer
                                > > last week..
                                > >
                                > > The two items that caught my attention were...
                                > >
                                > > Vita herring in Wine
                                > >
                                > > Vita herring and cream sauce..
                                > >
                                > > Greg
                                > >

                                > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "joy2002cjm" <joy2002cjm@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Happy New Year ALL!! Best wishes for good health, happiness and a year full of God's best and blessings!!
                                > > >
                                > > > Carolyn

                              • Greg
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 6, 2012
                                  A couple years ago the Saint Louis Blues had close
                                  to an all Slovak starting lineup.

                                  Before my son went to a Blues game, he would stop
                                  over and pick up a Slovak flag from me.

                                  Him and his friends would wave it whenever a Slovak
                                  scored a goal at Savis Center.

                                  My son is a fan of your second cousin.

                                  Greg