Christmas goose

  • joy2002cjm
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 26, 2011
      I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. We did here in NJ. My Mother even made a Christmas goose this year. It was incredible. I have a question, does anyone know if anything can be done with the left over goose fat? There is so much of it and so tasty, seems a shame to throw out.
    • Lubos Brieda
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 26, 2011
        you can spread it on bread, http://www.slovakcooking.com/2010/recipes/bread-with-lard/%c2%a0Bread with lard, onions, and salt is a popular Slovak beer snack. Sort of like chips and salsa in the US.

        ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 26, 2011
            We save the fat and roast potatoes, parsnips, and carrots in it. Good
            stuff.

            -S

            On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 9:17 AM, joy2002cjm <joy2002cjm@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. We did here in NJ. My Mother
            > even made a Christmas goose this year. It was incredible. I have a
            > question, does anyone know if anything can be done with the left over goose
            > fat? There is so much of it and so tasty, seems a shame to throw out.

          • Marycay Doolittle
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 26, 2011
              Thanks Lubos. As kids, my mother told us of her family eating lard on bread, but I think it was because they lived during the great depression and that's what they had. She had fond memories of it and loved telling us the story. I've never tried it, but with the onions and salt it sounds ok to me.

              Marycay

              I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. We did here in NJ. My Mother even made a Christmas goose this year. It was incredible. I have a question, does anyone know if anything can be done with the left over goose fat? There is so much of it and so tasty, seems a shame to throw out.

            • votrubam
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 26, 2011
                > eating lard on bread, but I think it was because they
                > lived during the great depression

                It has nothing to do with hardship. It's just cultural that people don't use lard as a spread today, and practical/commercial: butter has a slightly higher melting point than lard, so the former was easier to handle commercially before mass refrigeration.

                Not that either is particularly healthy, but according to USDA, the nutritional composition of lard fat is actually somewhat better than that of butter fat ("poly" and "mono" being OK, "saturated" rather not):

                L --- B (percent of all fat)

                11 - _4 Polyunsaturated fat
                45 - 30 Monounsaturated fat
                39 - 62 Saturated fat

                And lard has less cholesterol (95) than butter (219).

                Although there's about 20 percent more fat in a serving of lard than in the same amount of commercially available butter, we'd still eat less saturated fat with the same amount of lard.

                Martin
              • Nick Holcz
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 26, 2011
                  >Goose fat on rye bread with a little salt, Yummy

                  Laskavy Prosim

                  Nick
                • Greg
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 4, 2012
                    Without a question, the greatest story ever on a Christmas
                    goose was the story by Uga....

                    http://www.iarelative.com/recipe/goose.htm

                    If you haven't read it, read it today..

                    Greg