Where Can I Buy Oplatky in the U.S.?

  • allanstevo
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 17, 2011
      I've just run through the last 100 posts on oplatky and didn't notice a concrete answer to this question. Please forgive me if I am overlooking some obvious mention of it somewhere.

      On 52 Weeks in Slovak next week, I'd like to mention some places that a person could find oplatky in the U.S. in the event that he or she would want to include them in his or her Christmas celebration this year.

      Does anyone know concretely where oplatky can be obtained? A google search turned up a few fine results. I'd be more interested though in hearing oplatky suppliers that you personally use and would recommend. If you can mention the name and address or website, or at least the city of the oplatky supplier you use, I think that would help me or others more easily find that supplier.

      Thank you.

      Allan
      www.52inSk.com
    • slovak821@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 17, 2011
        I found this supplier on the web .I had used Leemar In NJ. in the past, but
        I could not contact them this year.
        Since I live in FL I am always searching for sources. It's the first time
        I have used this company and they were wonderful. Hope this helps. Merry
        Christmas
        Jacqueline Strunak Kornmeyer

        The Catholic Company
        615 East Westinghouse Blvd.
        Charlotte, NC 28273
        www.catholiccompany.com
        1-866-522-8465

        In a message dated 12/17/2011 10:31:42 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        allanstevo@... writes:

[...]

      • Lubos Brieda
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 17, 2011
          Allan, this guy just started a business here in the US: http://www.bohemianspawafers.com/Home.html%c2%a0He is selling the "spa wafers", which are two oblatky joined together by some filling.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 17, 2011
            That URL came through funny. The link is http://www.bohemianspawafers.com/Home.html

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 17, 2011
              The Catholic Company sells oblatky. Think they might spell it differently, but it looks like the ones my family got from our Slovak church for as long as I can remember. The church has been closed, but my brother still gets it in Olyphant, PA, don't know where, but I've been ordering online since I'm not in that area. We never had round oblatky only the rectangular.

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 17, 2011
                Oplatky is available from Its ASll Relative and Greg Kopchak at:

                http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/oplatki_order.htm

                or from The Catholic Company at"

                http://search.catholiccompany.com/search?w=oplatky

              • hmsbob@aol.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 17, 2011
                  MY SUGGESTION IS: IF THERE IS A SLOVAK CATHOLIC CHURCH SOMEWHERE IN THE
                  STATES. WHEREEVER THEY GET THEIR COMMUNION WAFERS FROM WOULD BE A PLACE TO
                  CONTACT. WE ALL KNOW THAT CATHOLIC CHURCHES ALL USE COMMUNION WAFERS AND
                  ALSO THE PRIEST HAS A MUCH LARGER WAFER AT EACH MASS. TRIED LOOKING AT
                  CATHOLIC COMPANY SIGHT AND DIDNT FIND ANY COMMUNION WAFERS. HAPPY HUNTING.

                  BOB

                  _allanstevo@..._ (mailto:allanstevo@...) writes:

[...]

                • Paul Payerchin
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 17, 2011
                    The Slovak Institute in Cleveland, OH sells them. I received mine in the mail yesterday. Check them out on the web.

                    Advent blessings from my iPad
                    Rev. Paul Payerchin

                  • hmsbob@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 17, 2011
                      FATHER PAUL: CAN YOU GIVE A URL FOR THE SIGHT. SURE WOULD BE HELPFUL

                    • KathleenKleber@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 17, 2011
                        The Slovak Store in Grove City, Pa. sells it - All Saints Church, Etna, Pa.
                        sells it.

                        (mailto:_hmsbob@..._ (mailto:hmsbob@...) )

                        (mailto:_slovak821@..._ (mailto:slovak821@...) ) writes:

                        > I found this supplier on the web .I had used Leemar In NJ. in the past,
                        but

                        > I could not contact them this year.
                        > Since I live in FL I am always searching for sources. It's the first
                        time
                        > I have used this company and they were wonderful. Hope this helps. Merry

                        > Christmas
                        > Jacqueline Strunak Kornmeyer
                        >
                        > The Catholic Company
                        > 615 East Westinghouse Blvd.
                        > Charlotte, NC 28273
                        > www.catholiccompany.com
                        > 1-866-522-8465
                        >
                        > In a message dated 12/17/2011 10:31:42 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        > ___allanstevo@..._ (mailto:__allanstevo@...) _
                        (mailto:__allanstevo@..._ (mailto:_allanstevo@...) ) _
                        (mailto:__allanstevo@..._ (mailto:_allanstevo@...) _
                        (mailto:_allanstevo@..._ (mailto:allanstevo@...) ) ) writes:

                        > I've just run through the last 100 posts on oplatky and didn't notice a
                        > concrete answer to this question. Please forgive me if I am overlooking
                        > some
                        > obvious mention of it somewhere.
                        >
                        > On 52 Weeks in Slovak next week, I'd like to mention some places that a
                        > person could find oplatky in the U.S. in the event that he or she would
                        > want
                        > to include them in his or her Christmas celebration this year.
                        >
                        > Does anyone know concretely where oplatky can be obtained? A google
                        > search turned up a few fine results. I'd be more interested though in
                        > hearing
                        > oplatky suppliers that you personally use and would recommend. If you
                        can
                        > mention the name and address or website, or at least the city of the
                        > oplatky
                        > supplier you use, I think that would help me or others more easily find
                        > that supplier.
                        >
                        > Thank you.
                        >
                        > Allan
                        > www.52inSk.com

                      • helene cincebeaux
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 17, 2011
                          There are 2 kinds of oplatky - the Slovak spa wafers that Lubos mentions and they are delicious, made with many fillings from nut to chocolate and are a wonderful gift to bring home from a visit there. In Piestany where they make them you can sample many of the varieties.

                          The other oplatky are used on Christmas Eve - they are like holy communion wafers but are made the size of a page in a small book and have Christmas scenes impressed on them. Usually they are white but sometimes a pink one appears - we always wanted a part of that one.

                          In my family my grandfather began Christmas Eve dinner with the Our Father but not in English which always fascinated me - then the oplatky were slathered with honey and passed first to the youngest and then up the line. It was such a special time with 3 and then 4 generations around the table.

                          Today we are  scattered to the corners of the US and mail them - just not the same.

                          Oplatky can be obtained from the nuns at  St Cyril's in Danville PA and also there is an address in Lewistown NY. The Slovak group in Cudahy Wisconsin gathers to make oplatky with antique wafer irons and sells them in a fund-raising effort.

                          In the old country the oplatky irons are heavy cast iron and make a round wafter - 7 or 8 inches across. There are long handles so it can be made over a hot fire. And there are raised religious designs on the irons that are pressed in.

                          if someone wants more info on the contact places to buy oplatky e mail me directly
                          helene
                          helenezx@...

                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 18, 2011
                            Thanks Helene. My father started with the Our Father also in Slovak & some other prayers. We stood for the prayers and then started with the oplatky, my favorite part of the meal. We used the small ones on Christmas Eve that included a pink one. We broke off a small piece and passed it to each family member at the table and they would dip it in their own dish of honey. I'll keep this info for ordering next year.

                            Marycay

                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 18, 2011
                              In case you missed it, Vaclav Havel, the playwright and ex-president of Czechoslovakia and later the Czech Republic, passed away today.  He did much good, and some bad (depending on whom we ask); his legacy as a dissident and later an able president will live on.  I will leave it to the media to write the eulogies.  I will, however leave you with his work:

                              http://vaclavhavel.cz/showtrans.php?cat=clanky&val=71_aj_clanky.html&typ=HTML%c2%a0

                              Ben

                            • Nemam Meno
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 18, 2011
                                .. the famous letter... He was one of a kind - a moral leader that this world needs and will miss dearly.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 19, 2011
                                  www.slovakinstitute.com

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 19, 2011
                                    Thank you, Ben.

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 19, 2011
                                      Folks:

                                      I was watching some inane program on TV while preparing my tax receipts for 2011 last night.  There was a very silly program (that tried to be serious) titled Little Red Riding Hood.  The dialog, plot & characters were ridiculous.  However, it appeared that the settings were from Slovakia.  I could not verify this.  Does anyone know for sure?

                                      Chuck

                                      Merry Christmas to all!

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 19, 2011
                                        Thank you, Helene!

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 19, 2011
                                          I live near St. Louis and ordered from iarelative in the past (he is very near me). But this year I never received my order and his emails bounced and phone was constantly busy. He did refund my paypal order though when I raised it through them.

                                          I have used

                                          http://www.oplatki.com/

                                          in the past and again this year.

                                          They ship the same day they receive payment.

                                          John

                                          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Andy Verostko <avyrostko@...> wrote:

                                          > Oplatky is available from Its ASll Relative and Greg Kopchak at:
                                          >
                                          > http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/oplatki_order.htm
                                          >
                                          > or from The Catholic Company at"
                                          >
                                          > http://search.catholiccompany.com/search?w=oplatky
                                          >

                                          > On 12/17/2011 10:31 AM, allanstevo wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > I've just run through the last 100 posts on oplatky and didn't notice
                                          > > a concrete answer to this question. Please forgive me if I am
                                          > > overlooking some obvious mention of it somewhere.
                                          > >
                                          > > On 52 Weeks in Slovak next week, I'd like to mention some places that
                                          > > a person could find oplatky in the U.S. in the event that he or she
                                          > > would want to include them in his or her Christmas celebration this year.
                                          > >
                                          > > Does anyone know concretely where oplatky can be obtained? A google
                                          > > search turned up a few fine results. I'd be more interested though in
                                          > > hearing oplatky suppliers that you personally use and would recommend.
                                          > > If you can mention the name and address or website, or at least the
                                          > > city of the oplatky supplier you use, I think that would help me or
                                          > > others more easily find that supplier.
                                          > >
                                          > > Thank you.
                                          > >
                                          > > Allan
                                          > > www.52inSk.com

                                        • cousinjanie1004
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 19, 2011
                                            www.polartcenter.com

                                            888-619-9771

                                            The Polish Art Center in Michigan. Can call in an order by phone - but look at web-site first to see the different Oplatki that they have available.

                                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "jjbakermo" <jjbakermo@...> wrote:

                                            > I live near St. Louis and ordered from iarelative in the past (he is very near me). But this year I never received my order and his emails bounced and phone was constantly busy. He did refund my paypal order though when I raised it through them.
                                            >
                                            > I have used
                                            >
                                            > http://www.oplatki.com/
                                            >
                                            > in the past and again this year.
                                            >
                                            > They ship the same day they receive payment.
                                            >
                                            > John
                                            >
                                            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Andy Verostko <avyrostko@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Oplatky is available from Its ASll Relative and Greg Kopchak at:
                                            > >
                                            > > http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/oplatki_order.htm
                                            > >
                                            > > or from The Catholic Company at"
                                            > >
                                            > > http://search.catholiccompany.com/search?w=oplatky
                                            > >

                                            > > On 12/17/2011 10:31 AM, allanstevo wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I've just run through the last 100 posts on oplatky and didn't notice
                                            > > > a concrete answer to this question. Please forgive me if I am
                                            > > > overlooking some obvious mention of it somewhere.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > On 52 Weeks in Slovak next week, I'd like to mention some places that
                                            > > > a person could find oplatky in the U.S. in the event that he or she
                                            > > > would want to include them in his or her Christmas celebration this year.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Does anyone know concretely where oplatky can be obtained? A google
                                            > > > search turned up a few fine results. I'd be more interested though in
                                            > > > hearing oplatky suppliers that you personally use and would recommend.
                                            > > > If you can mention the name and address or website, or at least the
                                            > > > city of the oplatky supplier you use, I think that would help me or
                                            > > > others more easily find that supplier.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Thank you.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Allan
                                            > > > www.52inSk.com

                                          • Greg
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 23, 2011
                                              Allan:

                                              Some very bad things happened with Oplatki this year...

                                              Leemar had been a very big supplier in North America.

                                              Leona Hrehvcik died last year.

                                              Michael Hrehvcik died this year. Things went bad.

                                              We tried to fill the gap but it was hard to get beyond regular customers.

                                              If you write Oplatki on your calendar for 2012 for the day after Thanksgiving along with...

                                              http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/oplatki.htm

                                              More than likely you will have Oplatki in 2012.

                                              Vesele vianoce..

                                              Greg Kopchak

                                              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "allanstevo" <allanstevo@...> wrote:

                                              > I've just run through the last 100 posts on oplatky and didn't notice a concrete answer to this question. Please forgive me if I am overlooking some obvious mention of it somewhere.
                                              >
                                              > On 52 Weeks in Slovak next week, I'd like to mention some places that a person could find oplatky in the U.S. in the event that he or she would want to include them in his or her Christmas celebration this year.
                                              >
                                              > Does anyone know concretely where oplatky can be obtained? A google search turned up a few fine results. I'd be more interested though in hearing oplatky suppliers that you personally use and would recommend. If you can mention the name and address or website, or at least the city of the oplatky supplier you use, I think that would help me or others more easily find that supplier.
                                              >
                                              > Thank you.
                                              >
                                              > Allan
                                              > www.52inSk.com

                                            • Greg
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Dec 23, 2011
                                                Both of the owners of Leemar died in the past two years.

                                                On Christmas Eve it would be neat to say a prayer for
                                                Mike and Lenoa.

                                                Most likely they shipped hundreds of thousands of
                                                Oplatki over the years.

                                                Greg

                                                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, slovak821@... wrote:

                                                > I found this supplier on the web .I had used Leemar In NJ. in the past, but
                                                > I could not contact them this year.
                                                > Since I live in FL I am always searching for sources. It's the first time
                                                > I have used this company and they were wonderful. Hope this helps. Merry
                                                > Christmas
                                                > Jacqueline Strunak Kornmeyer
                                                >

                                                > The Catholic Company
                                                > 615 East Westinghouse Blvd.
                                                > Charlotte, NC 28273
                                                > www.catholiccompany.com
                                                > 1-866-522-8465
                                                >

                                                > In a message dated 12/17/2011 10:31:42 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                                > allanstevo@... writes:
                                                >
                                                > I've just run through the last 100 posts on oplatky and didn't notice a
                                                > concrete answer to this question. Please forgive me if I am overlooking some
                                                > obvious mention of it somewhere.
                                                >
                                                > On 52 Weeks in Slovak next week, I'd like to mention some places that a
                                                > person could find oplatky in the U.S. in the event that he or she would want
                                                > to include them in his or her Christmas celebration this year.
                                                >
                                                > Does anyone know concretely where oplatky can be obtained? A google
                                                > search turned up a few fine results. I'd be more interested though in hearing
                                                > oplatky suppliers that you personally use and would recommend. If you can
                                                > mention the name and address or website, or at least the city of the oplatky
                                                > supplier you use, I think that would help me or others more easily find
                                                > that supplier.
                                                >
                                                > Thank you.
                                                >
                                                > Allan
                                                > www.52inSk.com

                                              • Paul Payerchin
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Dec 24, 2011
                                                  The Slovak Institute in Cleveland has oblatky!

                                                  www.slovakinstitute.org

                                                  Blessings from my iPad

                                                  On Dec 23, 2011, at 6:25 PM, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

                                                  > Allan:
                                                  >
                                                  > Some very bad things happened with Oplatki this year...
                                                  >
                                                  > Leemar had been a very big supplier in North America.
                                                  >
                                                  > Leona Hrehvcik died last year.
                                                  >
                                                  > Michael Hrehvcik died this year. Things went bad.
                                                  >
                                                  > We tried to fill the gap but it was hard to get beyond regular customers.
                                                  >
                                                  > If you write Oplatki on your calendar for 2012 for the day after Thanksgiving along with...
                                                  >
                                                  > http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/oplatki.htm
                                                  >
                                                  > More than likely you will have Oplatki in 2012.
                                                  >
                                                  > Vesele vianoce..
                                                  >
                                                  > Greg Kopchak
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "allanstevo" <allanstevo@...> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I've just run through the last 100 posts on oplatky and didn't notice a concrete answer to this question. Please forgive me if I am overlooking some obvious mention of it somewhere.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > On 52 Weeks in Slovak next week, I'd like to mention some places that a person could find oplatky in the U.S. in the event that he or she would want to include them in his or her Christmas celebration this year.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Does anyone know concretely where oplatky can be obtained? A google search turned up a few fine results. I'd be more interested though in hearing oplatky suppliers that you personally use and would recommend. If you can mention the name and address or website, or at least the city of the oplatky supplier you use, I think that would help me or others more easily find that supplier.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Thank you.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Allan
                                                  > > www.52inSk.com

                                                • Greg
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Dec 24, 2011
                                                    Marycay:

                                                    The pink oplatki are meant for the animals of the
                                                    household or farm.

                                                    I'm taking Oplatki for our Vilija dinner tonight and
                                                    will take a pink oplatki for my daughter's dog.

                                                    Traditional pink oplatki is dyed with beet juice.

                                                    After Christmas I will try to post the pink oplatki
                                                    story at Slovak-World.

                                                    It is interesting.

                                                    Vesele Vianoce

                                                    Greg

                                                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Marycay Doolittle" <marycayd@...> wrote:

                                                    > Thanks Helene. My father started with the Our Father also in Slovak & some other prayers. We stood for the prayers and then started with the oplatky, my favorite part of the meal. We used the small ones on Christmas Eve that included a pink one. We broke off a small piece and passed it to each family member at the table and they would dip it in their own dish of honey. I'll keep this info for ordering next year.
                                                    >
                                                    > Marycay

                                                  • maxine
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Dec 24, 2011
                                                      Greg, I just have to "step in" here and say a BIG THANK YOU for ALL you do for US!!!! Your site is TERRIFIC and we have all learned so much
                                                      because of YOU. May God Bless you and yours and keep the information coming.
                                                      THANKS AGAIN maxine sasala vigilante

                                                      The pink oplatki are meant for the animals of the
                                                      household or farm.

                                                      I'm taking Oplatki for our Vilija dinner tonight and
                                                      will take a pink oplatki for my daughter's dog.

                                                      Traditional pink oplatki is dyed with beet juice.

                                                      After Christmas I will try to post the pink oplatki
                                                      story at Slovak-World.

                                                      It is interesting.

                                                      Vesele Vianoce

                                                      Greg

                                                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Marycay Doolittle" <marycayd@...> wrote:

                                                      > Thanks Helene. My father started with the Our Father also in Slovak & some other prayers. We stood for the prayers and then started with the oplatky, my favorite part of the meal. We used the small ones on Christmas Eve that included a pink one. We broke off a small piece and passed it to each family member at the table and they would dip it in their own dish of honey. I'll keep this info for ordering next year.
                                                      >
                                                      > Marycay

                                                    • allanstevo
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 17, 2012
                                                        Just wanted to say thank you to the folks who offered advice on this topic and to share a post with some of that advice, so that no one will ever have to spend another Christmas without oblatky.

                                                        http://www.52insk.com/2012/oblatky-oplatky-u-s/

                                                        Allan
                                                        www.52inSk.com