Central European surfers

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 15, 2011
      According to a survey released today, the Slovaks are in the upper half of the European Union's internet users. 72 percent of them go online at lease once a week, but their access to broadband is rather unimpressive (although higher than, e.g., in Italy, Greece).

      The top internet surfers in the EU are the Swedes, almost matched by the Dutch, followed closely by the other Nordic countries. More than half of the Romanians, Bulgarians, and Greeks go online less often than once a week or never.

      The percentage of Central Europeans who access the internet at least once a week (no data for Switzerland):

      77 Germany
      76 Austria
      72 Slovakia
      66 Hungary
      63 Czech R.
      58 Poland

      Martin
    • Carl
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 16, 2011
        I have been absolutely amazed at how many relatives I have been able to find on the internet in Slovakia. I have found them by doing Facebook searches. They are almost entirely in their teens and twenties but they have helped me identify how we are related. Something I was never able to do with their parents and grandparents. They certainly have helped me build an extensive family tree and learn more about the family.
        CK

        > According to a survey released today, the Slovaks are in the upper half of the European Union's internet users. 72 percent of them go online at lease once a week, but their access to broadband is rather unimpressive (although higher than, e.g., in Italy, Greece).
        >
        > The top internet surfers in the EU are the Swedes, almost matched by the Dutch, followed closely by the other Nordic countries. More than half of the Romanians, Bulgarians, and Greeks go online less often than once a week or never.
        >
        > The percentage of Central Europeans who access the internet at least once a week (no data for Switzerland):
        >
        > 77 Germany
        > 76 Austria
        > 72 Slovakia
        > 66 Hungary
        > 63 Czech R.
        > 58 Poland
        >

        > Martin

      • maxine
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 16, 2011
          Hi Carl, I do not use FaceBook, however, after your statement, I think I will try. Please tell my what you put in your FaceBook and WHERE AND HOW you looked? I do not know how to do this so if you will explain to people like me who are not savvy, I would appreciate it.
          thanks maxine sasala vigilante

          I have been absolutely amazed at how many relatives I have been able to find on the internet in Slovakia. I have found them by doing Facebook searches. They are almost entirely in their teens and twenties but they have helped me identify how we are related. Something I was never able to do with their parents and grandparents. They certainly have helped me build an extensive family tree and learn more about the family.
          CK

          > According to a survey released today, the Slovaks are in the upper half of the European Union's internet users. 72 percent of them go online at lease once a week, but their access to broadband is rather unimpressive (although higher than, e.g., in Italy, Greece).
          >
          > The top internet surfers in the EU are the Swedes, almost matched by the Dutch, followed closely by the other Nordic countries. More than half of the Romanians, Bulgarians, and Greeks go online less often than once a week or never.
          >
          > The percentage of Central Europeans who access the internet at least once a week (no data for Switzerland):
          >
          > 77 Germany
          > 76 Austria
          > 72 Slovakia
          > 66 Hungary
          > 63 Czech R.
          > 58 Poland
          >

          > Martin

        • Carl
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 19, 2011
            Hi Maxine,
            It is very simple but you will need to establish a Facebook account. Then on the top of the home page, you just type in your family names in the search box (using the Slovak spelling) and see what comes up. For surnames that are common, I then checked the results looking for any reference to my family's ancestral villages.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 19, 2011
              Be careful w/ Facebook.  You will be asked to add your addressbook to your account.  Do not do this.