Forbasy

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2011
      Someone asked about Forbasy, a small village just west of Stara Lubovna, on another forum & I transcribed what I could find in one reference. I am posting it here for anyone interested in the village.

      Forbasy
      The first preserved mention about the village Forbasy is in the deed of 1311. In this deed Thomas, archbishop of Esztergom gave the inhabitants of Hniezdne and Forbasy (Gynisna et Fybraz) the same rights in church affairs as those given to the Saxsons and at the same time the obligation to pay the tithe in accordance with the German customs. This deed also indicates that Forbasy was an older royal settlement of the Lubovna castle founded by German colonizers at the turn of the 14th century. The copy of the donation deed of the Hungarian king Sigismond of Luxembourg of 1408 refers to Forbasy as the village which was donated to Imrich of Perin. The territory of the village was along with 16 towns of the region of the Spis pledged as a security to Poland during the period 1412-1772. Forbasy has a late renaissance church of St. Dorthy built in 1690-1700. The modern village is known especially for its pre-Lent customs. Hiking paths are also available here and the biking route is also under preparation. The lovers of mineral water may enjoy the ferric water known by the local people as "scava".

      contact: Village Office 065 01 Forbasy, phone +421-52/432 34 55 email: ouforbasy@...
      This from a publication ""Welcome, Stara Lubovna and Surroundings", ISBN 80-969070-1-8