RE: [Slovak-World] Ma's Dictionary

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2011
      Martin,
      Thanks for the info. I'll certainly get a copy for LC.

      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      From: votrubam@...
      Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 02:36:38 +0000
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Ma's Dictionary

      A new Slovak-American, plus French in this instance, book:

      Milan Kovacovic subtitled it "A Memoir - Straddling the social class divide." He published a like-named short story in 1991, it's a full-length book now. He talks about his working-class childhood, transatlantic migration, and juggling his Slovak-born mother's home heritage and his adult life in a different environment. The link is here at the top:

      <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/sstopics/slovakliteratureinenglish.html>

      Martin

      x x x

      A brief passage:

      ... I was beginning to know the country of origin of my parents. The reconnection with my sister Eva took place with great emotion: despite our lack of a common language and the seventeen-year separation, we "communicated" as if that long hiatus hadn't occurred. We were intuitively on the same wave-length, and thus all the more frustrated about our linguistic limitations. She had chosen to study German at school, instead of French or English, thus confirming her sense of abandonment, and my Slovak proved adequate only for basic conversation. She was six years older than I, but someone joked that if I put on a wig of thick red hair, we could easily pass for twins. ... Accompanied by Eva, I felt as if the village belonged to me...