Re: [Slovak-World] It's Been a Long Time . . .

  • Tom Flynn
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2011
      On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, mccoy4984 wrote:

      > . . . since I last posted here. The reason? I've been in Djibouti, Africa for the last six months and had trouble with my internet access. Anyway, as usual, you can check out my pictures of Slovakia plus those taken in Africa recently (if you're interested) at the address below.
      >
      > One more thing, has anyone heard of a town called West, Texas? It's about three hours north of San Antonio (and an hour south of Dallas) on I-35. I passed it both times on my way to Kentucky and it seemed like the whole town was dedicated to Czech/Slovak-oriented tourism. I mean it seemed like every business was named after some town in the old country and the billboards on the highway were promoting this to the hilt. Just curious.

      Yes, West is a fun stop (even its name is fun, since it is not in Western
      part of Texas). Every May (think it is Memorial day weekend usually) they
      have Westfest where you can see Czech/Moravian food/crafts/music/dancing
      as well as farm animals people have raised...I've been a few times.

      West is easy to find, as it is just off major interstate IH35 and there
      are lots of signs for restaurants and places to buy kolace. I tease my
      mother about the local Ford dealer, which
      happens to be Sikora Ford (though this is Czech business, my mother's
      family in Slovakia is also Sikora...no relation of course). Another one I
      get a kick out of is the Czech stop, which reminds me of a computer term
      which sounds the same , a checkstop (a really bad error on server
      processor).

      > All the best,
      >
      > Russ
      >
      > http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

      ---------
      Tom Flynn
      I speak only for myself
    • mccoy4984
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 11, 2011
        Hey, Tom:

        Thanks for the follow up on West. Several people I've mentioned this to have thought I was talking about a geographical area rather than the name of a town. I'll try to get up there for their celebration next spring.

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Tom Flynn <trflynn@...> wrote:

        > On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, mccoy4984 wrote:
        >
        > > . . . since I last posted here. The reason? I've been in Djibouti, Africa for the last six months and had trouble with my internet access. Anyway, as usual, you can check out my pictures of Slovakia plus those taken in Africa recently (if you're interested) at the address below.
        > >
        > > One more thing, has anyone heard of a town called West, Texas? It's about three hours north of San Antonio (and an hour south of Dallas) on I-35. I passed it both times on my way to Kentucky and it seemed like the whole town was dedicated to Czech/Slovak-oriented tourism. I mean it seemed like every business was named after some town in the old country and the billboards on the highway were promoting this to the hilt. Just curious.
        > >
        > Yes, West is a fun stop (even its name is fun, since it is not in Western
        > part of Texas). Every May (think it is Memorial day weekend usually) they
        > have Westfest where you can see Czech/Moravian food/crafts/music/dancing
        > as well as farm animals people have raised...I've been a few times.
        >
        > West is easy to find, as it is just off major interstate IH35 and there
        > are lots of signs for restaurants and places to buy kolace. I tease my
        > mother about the local Ford dealer, which
        > happens to be Sikora Ford (though this is Czech business, my mother's
        > family in Slovakia is also Sikora...no relation of course). Another one I
        > get a kick out of is the Czech stop, which reminds me of a computer term
        > which sounds the same , a checkstop (a really bad error on server
        > processor).
        >
        > > All the best,
        > >
        > > Russ
        > >
        > > http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

        > ---------
        > Tom Flynn
        > I speak only for myself

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 11, 2011
          Ahoj Tomas~,

          Your travel history reminds me of my travel days, working for GE Gas Turbine.  I Lived in Saudi Arabia for 13 months.  I have traveled Crisscross, throughout the US and have spent time in: London, Paris, Vienna, Praha, (plus most larger cities in Slovakia and Moravia), my trips mostly stops for vacation on my return home from countries), Athens, Beirut, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Kuwait City,Jakarta, Singapore, Hong Kong, Bandar Seri Begawan, Legos, Buenos Aires etc.  Ihave been in smaller cities in countries mentioned but those larger places are more familiar.

          Of course I have visited Slovakia 28 times since 1971.

          I don't think about my travels often and outside of my family, not many know about them but it takes comments such as yours to spark my memories.

          S Panem Bohom,

          Vilo

          , Singapore, Tokyo,

          ________________________________
          Thanks for the follow up on West. Several people I've mentioned this to have thought I was talking about a geographical area rather than the name of a town. I'll try to get up there for their celebration next spring.

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Tom Flynn <trflynn@...> wrote:

          > On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, mccoy4984 wrote:
          >
          > > . . . since I last posted here. The reason? I've been in Djibouti, Africa for the last six months and had trouble with my internet access. Anyway, as usual, you can check out my pictures of Slovakia plus those taken in Africa recently (if you're interested) at the address below.
          > >
          > > One more thing, has anyone heard of a town called West, Texas? It's about three hours north of San Antonio (and an hour south of Dallas) on I-35. I passed it both times on my way to Kentucky and it seemed like the whole town was dedicated to Czech/Slovak-oriented tourism. I mean it seemed like every business was named after some town in the old country and the billboards on the highway were promoting this to the hilt. Just curious.
          > >
          > Yes, West is a fun stop (even its name is fun, since it is not in Western
          > part of Texas). Every May (think it is Memorial day weekend usually) they
          > have Westfest where you can see Czech/Moravian food/crafts/music/dancing
          > as well as farm animals people have raised...I've been a few times.
          >
          > West is easy to find, as it is just off major interstate IH35 and there
          > are lots of signs for restaurants and places to buy kolace. I tease my
          > mother about the local Ford dealer, which
          > happens to be Sikora Ford (though this is Czech business, my mother's
          > family in Slovakia is also Sikora...no relation of course). Another one I
          > get a kick out of is the Czech stop, which reminds me of a computer term
          > which sounds the same , a checkstop (a really bad error on server
          > processor).
          >
          > > All the best,
          > >
          > > Russ
          > >
          > > http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

          > ---------
          > Tom Flynn
          > I speak only for myself

        • Tom Flynn
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 12, 2011
            No problem on West, but I misremembered which weekend they have it (maybe
            I have some sort of memory dislexia but I often confuse memorial day and
            labor day, though they're two different holidays they bookend the summer
            and I frequently get them mixed up.

            Anyhow, WestFest is actually on Labor day weekend (so just had it last
            month)..guess it's been so long since I've been there that I thought it
            was Memorial day weekend. If you want to look at their website, it is at
            http://www.westfest.com

            On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, mccoy4984 wrote:

            > Hey, Tom:
            >
            > Thanks for the follow up on West. Several people I've mentioned this to have thought I was talking about a geographical area rather than the name of a town. I'll try to get up there for their celebration next spring.
            >
            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Tom Flynn <trflynn@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, mccoy4984 wrote:
            >>
            >>> . . . since I last posted here. The reason? I've been in Djibouti, Africa for the last six months and had trouble with my internet access. Anyway, as usual, you can check out my pictures of Slovakia plus those taken in Africa recently (if you're interested) at the address below.
            >>>
            >>> One more thing, has anyone heard of a town called West, Texas? It's about three hours north of San Antonio (and an hour south of Dallas) on I-35. I passed it both times on my way to Kentucky and it seemed like the whole town was dedicated to Czech/Slovak-oriented tourism. I mean it seemed like every business was named after some town in the old country and the billboards on the highway were promoting this to the hilt. Just curious.
            >>>
            >> Yes, West is a fun stop (even its name is fun, since it is not in Western
            >> part of Texas). Every May (think it is Memorial day weekend usually) they
            >> have Westfest where you can see Czech/Moravian food/crafts/music/dancing
            >> as well as farm animals people have raised...I've been a few times.
            >>
            >> West is easy to find, as it is just off major interstate IH35 and there
            >> are lots of signs for restaurants and places to buy kolace. I tease my
            >> mother about the local Ford dealer, which
            >> happens to be Sikora Ford (though this is Czech business, my mother's
            >> family in Slovakia is also Sikora...no relation of course). Another one I
            >> get a kick out of is the Czech stop, which reminds me of a computer term
            >> which sounds the same , a checkstop (a really bad error on server
            >> processor).
            >>
            >> > All the best,
            >>>
            >>> Russ
            >>>
            >>> http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

            >> ---------
            >> Tom Flynn
            >> I speak only for myself

            ---------
            Tom Flynn
            I speak only for myself
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 12, 2011
              It was just last weekend, I think.  I wanted to go, but got laid off.

              :*(

              ________________________________
              No problem on West, but I misremembered which weekend they have it (maybe
              I have some sort of memory dislexia but I often confuse memorial day and
              labor day, though they're two different holidays they bookend the summer
              and I frequently get them mixed up.

              Anyhow, WestFest is actually on Labor day weekend (so just had it last
              month)..guess it's been so long since I've been there that I thought it
              was Memorial day weekend. If you want to look at their website, it is at
              http://www.westfest.com

              On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, mccoy4984 wrote:

              > Hey, Tom:
              >
              > Thanks for the follow up on West. Several people I've mentioned this to have thought I was talking about a geographical area rather than the name of a town. I'll try to get up there for their celebration next spring.
              >
              > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Tom Flynn <trflynn@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, mccoy4984 wrote:
              >>
              >>> . . . since I last posted here. The reason? I've been in Djibouti, Africa for the last six months and had trouble with my internet access. Anyway, as usual, you can check out my pictures of Slovakia plus those taken in Africa recently (if you're interested) at the address below.
              >>>
              >>> One more thing, has anyone heard of a town called West, Texas? It's about three hours north of San Antonio (and an hour south of Dallas) on I-35. I passed it both times on my way to Kentucky and it seemed like the whole town was dedicated to Czech/Slovak-oriented tourism. I mean it seemed like every business was named after some town in the old country and the billboards on the highway were promoting this to the hilt. Just curious.
              >>>
              >> Yes, West is a fun stop (even its name is fun, since it is not in Western
              >> part of Texas). Every May (think it is Memorial day weekend usually) they
              >> have Westfest where you can see Czech/Moravian food/crafts/music/dancing
              >> as well as farm animals people have raised...I've been a few times.
              >>
              >> West is easy to find, as it is just off major interstate IH35 and there
              >> are lots of signs for restaurants and places to buy kolace. I tease my
              >> mother about the local Ford dealer, which
              >> happens to be Sikora Ford (though this is Czech business, my mother's
              >> family in Slovakia is also Sikora...no relation of course). Another one I
              >> get a kick out of is the Czech stop, which reminds me of a computer term
              >> which sounds the same , a checkstop (a really bad error on server
              >> processor).
              >>
              >> > All the best,
              >>>
              >>> Russ
              >>>
              >>> http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

              >> ---------
              >> Tom Flynn
              >> I speak only for myself

              ---------
              Tom Flynn
              I speak only for myself

            • Ben Sorensen
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 12, 2011
                Sorry Chuck! I hope you are ok.

                So what are you doing now?  Where are you looking?
                Ben

                ________________________________
                It was just last weekend, I think.  I wanted to go, but got laid off.

                :*(

                ________________________________
                No problem on West, but I misremembered which weekend they have it (maybe
                I have some sort of memory dislexia but I often confuse memorial day and
                labor day, though they're two different holidays they bookend the summer
                and I frequently get them mixed up.

                Anyhow, WestFest is actually on Labor day weekend (so just had it last
                month)..guess it's been so long since I've been there that I thought it
                was Memorial day weekend. If you want to look at their website, it is at
                http://www.westfest.com

                On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, mccoy4984 wrote:

                > Hey, Tom:
                >
                > Thanks for the follow up on West. Several people I've mentioned this to have thought I was talking about a geographical area rather than the name of a town. I'll try to get up there for their celebration next spring.
                >
                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Tom Flynn <trflynn@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, mccoy4984 wrote:
                >>
                >>> . . . since I last posted here. The reason? I've been in Djibouti, Africa for the last six months and had trouble with my internet access. Anyway, as usual, you can check out my pictures of Slovakia plus those taken in Africa recently (if you're interested) at the address below.
                >>>
                >>> One more thing, has anyone heard of a town called West, Texas? It's about three hours north of San Antonio (and an hour south of Dallas) on I-35. I passed it both times on my way to Kentucky and it seemed like the whole town was dedicated to Czech/Slovak-oriented tourism. I mean it seemed like every business was named after some town in the old country and the billboards on the highway were promoting this to the hilt. Just curious.
                >>>
                >> Yes, West is a fun stop (even its name is fun, since it is not in Western
                >> part of Texas). Every May (think it is Memorial day weekend usually) they
                >> have Westfest where you can see Czech/Moravian food/crafts/music/dancing
                >> as well as farm animals people have raised...I've been a few times.
                >>
                >> West is easy to find, as it is just off major interstate IH35 and there
                >> are lots of signs for restaurants and places to buy kolace. I tease my
                >> mother about the local Ford dealer, which
                >> happens to be Sikora Ford (though this is Czech business, my mother's
                >> family in Slovakia is also Sikora...no relation of course). Another one I
                >> get a kick out of is the Czech stop, which reminds me of a computer term
                >> which sounds the same , a checkstop (a really bad error on server
                >> processor).
                >>
                >> > All the best,
                >>>
                >>> Russ
                >>>
                >>> http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

                >> ---------
                >> Tom Flynn
                >> I speak only for myself

                ---------
                Tom Flynn
                I speak only for myself

              • e.gernat@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 12, 2011
                  Have missed you

                  Thanks for the follow up on West. Several people I've mentioned this to have thought I was talking about a geographical area rather than the name of a town. I'll try to get up there for their celebration next spring.

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com , Tom Flynn <trflynn@...> wrote:

                  > On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, mccoy4984 wrote:
                  >
                  > > . . . since I last posted here. The reason? I've been in Djibouti, Africa for the last six months and had trouble with my internet access. Anyway, as usual, you can check out my pictures of Slovakia plus those taken in Africa recently (if you're interested) at the address below.
                  > >
                  > > One more thing, has anyone heard of a town called West, Texas? It's about three hours north of San Antonio (and an hour south of Dallas) on I-35. I passed it both times on my way to Kentucky and it seemed like the whole town was dedicated to Czech/Slovak-oriented tourism. I mean it seemed like every business was named after some town in the old country and the billboards on the highway were promoting this to the hilt. Just curious.
                  > >
                  > Yes, West is a fun stop (even its name is fun, since it is not in Western
                  > part of Texas). Every May (think it is Memorial day weekend usually) they
                  > have Westfest where you can see Czech/Moravian food/crafts/music/dancing
                  > as well as farm animals people have raised...I've been a few times.
                  >
                  > West is easy to find, as it is just off major interstate IH35 and there
                  > are lots of signs for restaurants and places to buy kolace. I tease my
                  > mother about the local Ford dealer, which
                  > happens to be Sikora Ford (though this is Czech business, my mother's
                  > family in Slovakia is also Sikora...no relation of course). Another one I
                  > get a kick out of is the Czech stop, which reminds me of a computer term
                  > which sounds the same , a checkstop (a really bad error on server
                  > processor).
                  >
                  > > All the best,
                  > >
                  > > Russ
                  > >
                  > > http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

                  > ---------
                  > Tom Flynn
                  > I speak only for myself

                • mccoy4984
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 12, 2011
                    Yes, what a wonderful thing to have a job that allows you to travel. Did you see my Saudi pics from Jeddah and Taif? Anyway, I envy you all your trips to Slovakia. I need to see the Vysoke Tatry again.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 12, 2011
                      I found a job in Panama City Beach FL.  Much less pay.  I just didn't want to be unemployed for a few years.  Some folks I know in the field have been out of work for over 2 years now.  I could have stayed & searched in CLT NC, but the major employer Band of America just announced 30,000 layoffs.  Decided to come here & start over.

                      Of course, my girlfriend just moved her Mom up to CLT from Miami last year to a nursing home.  So hopes are dim that she w/ follow me to PCB FL.  :*(

                      But at least I found a job.  Some are not so lucky.  And this position allows me to interact w/ my friends who are engineers in Slovakia.  So that is a big plus.

                      I look forward to hearing you play one day, Ben!  And saving pennies to visit Martin one day.  It looks like future trips to Slovakia are now out of the question.  I am glad I took the advice of members of this group & went on the occasions that I could.  They are memories I w/ treasure always.

                      ________________________________
                      So what are you doing now?  Where are you looking?
                      Ben

                      ________________________________
                      It was just last weekend, I think.  I wanted to go, but got laid off.

                      :*(

                      ________________________________
                      No problem on West, but I misremembered which weekend they have it (maybe
                      I have some sort of memory dislexia but I often confuse memorial day and
                      labor day, though they're two different holidays they bookend the summer
                      and I frequently get them mixed up.

                      Anyhow, WestFest is actually on Labor day weekend (so just had it last
                      month)..guess it's been so long since I've been there that I thought it
                      was Memorial day weekend. If you want to look at their website, it is at
                      http://www.westfest.com

                      On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, mccoy4984 wrote:

                      > Hey, Tom:
                      >
                      > Thanks for the follow up on West. Several people I've mentioned this to have thought I was talking about a geographical area rather than the name of a town. I'll try to get up there for their celebration next spring.
                      >
                      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Tom Flynn <trflynn@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, mccoy4984 wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> . . . since I last posted here. The reason? I've been in Djibouti, Africa for the last six months and had trouble with my internet access. Anyway, as usual, you can check out my pictures of Slovakia plus those taken in Africa recently (if you're interested) at the address below.
                      >>>
                      >>> One more thing, has anyone heard of a town called West, Texas? It's about three hours north of San Antonio (and an hour south of Dallas) on I-35. I passed it both times on my way to Kentucky and it seemed like the whole town was dedicated to Czech/Slovak-oriented tourism. I mean it seemed like every business was named after some town in the old country and the billboards on the highway were promoting this to the hilt. Just curious.
                      >>>
                      >> Yes, West is a fun stop (even its name is fun, since it is not in Western
                      >> part of Texas). Every May (think it is Memorial day weekend usually) they
                      >> have Westfest where you can see Czech/Moravian food/crafts/music/dancing
                      >> as well as farm animals people have raised...I've been a few times.
                      >>
                      >> West is easy to find, as it is just off major interstate IH35 and there
                      >> are lots of signs for restaurants and places to buy kolace. I tease my
                      >> mother about the local Ford dealer, which
                      >> happens to be Sikora Ford (though this is Czech business, my mother's
                      >> family in Slovakia is also Sikora...no relation of course). Another one I
                      >> get a kick out of is the Czech stop, which reminds me of a computer term
                      >> which sounds the same , a checkstop (a really bad error on server
                      >> processor).
                      >>
                      >> > All the best,
                      >>>
                      >>> Russ
                      >>>
                      >>> http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/