Re: Video on Chimney Cakes

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 3, 2011
      > not listening.

      Yes, it was so new in Szczawnica, Poland, when the video was made three years ago that they did not even have a name for it. They referred to it as just "a cake." The traditional north-eastern Polish chimney cake is different (scroll down, on the left):

      <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/trdelnikbaumkuchenstovepipecookie.html>

      > that it came
      > about because of "{marketing of the grill-ovens". My friend
      > was given a wooden "Pin", by a woman who bakes the trdelnik
      > in Skalice and he would really like to make it but has no oven
      > to put it in.  We wonder if it cannot be made in a rotisserie
      > oven??

      Now that trdelnik is becoming somewhat better known in Slovakia, some bake it in the oven at home. They wind it around an alufoil-covered rolling pin. A rotisserie oven with a thick pin might work too, if not better (the one in the video baked-roasted it in ca. 10 minutes). A bigger problem appears to be the dough, which needs to be raised, but falls off the spit if it is not sufficiently dense at the same time.

      Of course, aficionados of the "true" trdelnik are horrified. It needs to be baked-roasted over the coals. The roasting takes about 15-20 minutes.

      Martin
    • Joe Armata
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 4, 2012
        The first episode of Who Do You Think You Are featured Martin Sheen
        discovering that his ggggGrandfather Don Diego on one branch of his
        family tree was a judge who prosecuted his ggggGrandmother Antonia on
        another branch. This was presented as astonishing and remarkable.

        Actually, as I think about it, it's probably very common. If each
        generation included 4 children, all of them reproducing, by the time it
        got down to Martin Sheen's parents' generation, there'd be over 1,000
        descendants each for Diego and Antonia. That's a lot of possible matches
        between the two lines.

        Add in that Don Diego was a judge, and must have prosecuted many
        hundreds if not thousands of people during his career, then the pool of
        descendants from everyone Diego ever prosecuted must have been
        astronomical in Martin Sheen's parents' time. It seems to me that many
        (even most?) people descended from Don Diego would be able to trace a
        branch back to someone he prosecuted.

        Am I thinking straight here?

        Joe
      • Donna Lachney
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 4, 2012
          Joe.
          That was a great show.  I really enjoyed watching Martin Sheen and watching his delight in finding about all his past relatives.   I know how I would feel traveling around Slovakia to visit relatives and finding all about them.  Don Diego sure got around.  Everything you said sure is the truth about the Sheen family, how canny.

          Donna

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 10, 2012
            I remember that game so well - I played it with my children and grandchildren....it is my understanding that the "svitch im du pekla" means something like "throw it in the stove"....lol...go figure!!

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amymemom" <amymemom@...> wrote:

            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Sue <AltoClar@> wrote:
            > >
            > > My family used to do something to us when we were kids, with our hands, similar to "This Little Piggy Went to Market", but it was in Slovak (or Czech maybe). All I remember is that it involved Mama stirring the pot and cutting one's head off. Does anybody know the words (and the translation) to this??
            > >
            > > This is what I remember - with the toes - (phonetically)starting with the big toe:
            > Hudoshek
            > Bubushek
            > Sochy Vosik
            > Dinishuk
            > Aten stady pishuk tickling little toe) - svitch im du pekla
            >
            > I hope I didn't kill the language!!!!

          • amymemom
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 10, 2012
              Not to mention that Don Diego had 5 illegitimate children by Antonia and was quite the ladies man.....
              It must be in the blood....