Re: [Slovak-World] Video on Chimney Cakes

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 2, 2011
      Thanks Joe, This was most interesting.  The "flisacy" are like the Skalicky trdelnik except trdelnik are "thicker".  It makes me soooo hungry for them.  Richard Novotny's cousin, Sestra Martina Novotnová, paid our was back in ľééž.  Sister is noe in residence in the Fárský  úrad in Banská Bystrica.  I visited her last year and my cousin who was with me then just called yesterday and told me he was just there visiting again.  Ah memories, memories........

      Thanks again!

      A Bohom,

      Vilo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 2, 2011
        Hi All,

              Joy Kovalycsik noted that The Carpathian Connection http://www.tccweb.org has just undergone a major update. "Our focus is exclusively on Slovakia and we have tons of

        information for researchers," she noted.

        helene

      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 2, 2011
          > The "flisacy" are like the Skalicky trdelnik

          I'm not sure they'd like to hear that, Vilko. The video does not say what the guy may call the cake. _Flisacy_ means "rafters" in Polish. A man in a rafters'/local folk outfit makes the cake in the video, but of course, most local rafters have not been making deserts. They supplement their income from other jobs by taking people down the Dunajec on wooden rafts (it would be hard to make one's living year round with that as one's only or main job).

          The chimney cake is a fledgling, very recent, import to the region (Szczawnica in Poland, about half a mile north of the Slovak border), made possible by the marketing of the grill-ovens the guy in the video uses to make it, but if it takes off, it can surely be refashioned into a "traditional local specialty" in a decade or two, e.g., like trdelnik is ubiquitous and "traditional" all over Prague's touristy downtown now, while it was nonexistent there and much of the Czech Reupblic (as well as Slovakia) merely a decade or two ago.

          Martin
        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 3, 2011
            Thanks Martin,

            I wrote the message reading from the title and not listening.  It is very interesting that that it came about because of "{marketing of the grill-ovens".  My friend was given a wooden "Pin", by a woman who bakes the trdelnik in Skalice and he would really like to make it but has no oven to put it in.  We wonder if it cannot be made in a rotisserie oven??Pin" The rafting there was SUPER and the Pieniny are beautiful.

            Hope to see you in November.

            S Panem Bohom

            Vilo

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 3, 2011
              > not listening.

              Yes, it was so new in Szczawnica, Poland, when the video was made three years ago that they did not even have a name for it. They referred to it as just "a cake." The traditional north-eastern Polish chimney cake is different (scroll down, on the left):

              <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/trdelnikbaumkuchenstovepipecookie.html>

              > that it came
              > about because of "{marketing of the grill-ovens". My friend
              > was given a wooden "Pin", by a woman who bakes the trdelnik
              > in Skalice and he would really like to make it but has no oven
              > to put it in.  We wonder if it cannot be made in a rotisserie
              > oven??

              Now that trdelnik is becoming somewhat better known in Slovakia, some bake it in the oven at home. They wind it around an alufoil-covered rolling pin. A rotisserie oven with a thick pin might work too, if not better (the one in the video baked-roasted it in ca. 10 minutes). A bigger problem appears to be the dough, which needs to be raised, but falls off the spit if it is not sufficiently dense at the same time.

              Of course, aficionados of the "true" trdelnik are horrified. It needs to be baked-roasted over the coals. The roasting takes about 15-20 minutes.

              Martin
            • Joe Armata
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 4, 2012
                The first episode of Who Do You Think You Are featured Martin Sheen
                discovering that his ggggGrandfather Don Diego on one branch of his
                family tree was a judge who prosecuted his ggggGrandmother Antonia on
                another branch. This was presented as astonishing and remarkable.

                Actually, as I think about it, it's probably very common. If each
                generation included 4 children, all of them reproducing, by the time it
                got down to Martin Sheen's parents' generation, there'd be over 1,000
                descendants each for Diego and Antonia. That's a lot of possible matches
                between the two lines.

                Add in that Don Diego was a judge, and must have prosecuted many
                hundreds if not thousands of people during his career, then the pool of
                descendants from everyone Diego ever prosecuted must have been
                astronomical in Martin Sheen's parents' time. It seems to me that many
                (even most?) people descended from Don Diego would be able to trace a
                branch back to someone he prosecuted.

                Am I thinking straight here?

                Joe
              • Donna Lachney
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 4, 2012
                  Joe.
                  That was a great show.  I really enjoyed watching Martin Sheen and watching his delight in finding about all his past relatives.   I know how I would feel traveling around Slovakia to visit relatives and finding all about them.  Don Diego sure got around.  Everything you said sure is the truth about the Sheen family, how canny.

                  Donna

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 10, 2012
                    I remember that game so well - I played it with my children and grandchildren....it is my understanding that the "svitch im du pekla" means something like "throw it in the stove"....lol...go figure!!

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amymemom" <amymemom@...> wrote:

                    > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Sue <AltoClar@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > My family used to do something to us when we were kids, with our hands, similar to "This Little Piggy Went to Market", but it was in Slovak (or Czech maybe). All I remember is that it involved Mama stirring the pot and cutting one's head off. Does anybody know the words (and the translation) to this??
                    > >
                    > > This is what I remember - with the toes - (phonetically)starting with the big toe:
                    > Hudoshek
                    > Bubushek
                    > Sochy Vosik
                    > Dinishuk
                    > Aten stady pishuk tickling little toe) - svitch im du pekla
                    >
                    > I hope I didn't kill the language!!!!

                  • amymemom
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 10, 2012
                      Not to mention that Don Diego had 5 illegitimate children by Antonia and was quite the ladies man.....
                      It must be in the blood....