Contacting Long Lost Slovak Relatives

  • Milan
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 8, 2011
      I need help. I am trying to help a family get reunitied with any surviving relatives in Slovakia. The problem is that their family left Vrbove, Slovakia in May 1938 when the Germans invaded and am having problems finding people with the same surname that remember the family members that left.

      I have tried zoznam.sk to find phone numbers and have called a few people with no luck. I have tried Facebook with the same results. Well I have two people helping but not promising anything.

      I am sure there must be someone in Vrbove or Sipkove or that area that wonder what happened to Pavel and Anna and their childern. Please help me find those people. What can I do?
    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 8, 2011
        Milan,

        What is the Last Name of Pavel and the Maiden Name of Anna????

        Vilo

        ________________________________
        I need help. I am trying to help a family get reunitied with any surviving relatives in Slovakia. The problem is that their family left Vrbove, Slovakia in May 1938 when the Germans invaded and am having problems finding people with the same surname that remember the family members that left.

        I have tried zoznam.sk to find phone numbers and have called a few people with no luck. I have tried Facebook with the same results. Well I have two people helping but not promising anything.

        I am sure there must be someone in Vrbove or Sipkove or that area that wonder what happened to Pavel and Anna and their childern. Please help me find those people. What can I do?

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 8, 2011
          You can hire Vladi and he van go to VRBOVE and
          SIPKOVE in October and November this year, no problem at all.

          Vladi

          At 04:28 PM 9/8/2011, you wrote:

          >Milan,
          >
          >What is the Last Name of Pavel and the Maiden Name of Anna????
          >
          >Vilo
          >
          >________________________________

        • Nemam Meno
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 8, 2011
            try phone books

            I need help. I am trying to help a family get reunitied with any surviving relatives in Slovakia. The problem is that their family left Vrbove, Slovakia in May 1938 when the Germans invaded and am having problems finding people with the same surname that remember the family members that left.

            I have tried zoznam.sk to find phone numbers and have called a few people with no luck. I have tried Facebook with the same results. Well I have two people helping but not promising anything.

            I am sure there must be someone in Vrbove or Sipkove or that area that wonder what happened to Pavel and Anna and their childern. Please help me find those people. What can I do?

          • Milan Olle
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 8, 2011
              Mr. Nemem meno, I have tried calling and I have tried Facebook. I have two offers of help on facebook: One lady says she will try but doesn't promise anything. That doesn't sound promising. The second lady is from Bratislava. I caught her on her way out the door to go for vacation. Claims she will be back in October and is planning to go to Vrbove in October anyway. She sounds promising but I am trying to see what I can do NOW.

              The people I have been talking to seem to be of the younger generation. In my family in Europe the older generations don't seem to bother with phones. I need to find the older generation.

              Vladi, thanks for the offer of help but the people I am helping are pensioners and I am volunteering. Well I actually feel I owe them for the 101 little things they have done for me. If I can find one member of their family they can invite over or go see. I think I will have completed their bucket list.

              Vilo, if you think you can help I would appreciate showing these people that they are not outcastes but victims of a bad circumstance. Yes, they are afraid that they are outcastes. The names of the people that left the village of Vrbove in May of 1938 are Anna F. Madzo(nee Keller) and Pavel Madzo. If you need further information please Email me: coolkeytool@...

              The ancestral village of the kellers is Sipkove I am told.

              If nothing else works I am going to be in the Trencin area for Xmas. It will be no problem to personally go to the Vrbove area and knock on doors. It would be nice to know who is their family now and invite them to go visit with me!

              Milan
              What is the Last Name of Pavel and the Maiden Name of Anna????

              Vilo

              ________________________________
              I need help. I am trying to help a family get reunitied with any surviving relatives in Slovakia. The problem is that their family left Vrbove, Slovakia in May 1938 when the Germans invaded and am having problems finding people with the same surname that remember the family members that left.

              I have tried zoznam.sk to find phone numbers and have called a few people with no luck. I have tried Facebook with the same results. Well I have two people helping but not promising anything.

              I am sure there must be someone in Vrbove or Sipkove or that area that wonder what happened to Pavel and Anna and their childern. Please help me find those people. What can I do?

            • votrubam
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 8, 2011
                > in May 1938 when the Germans invaded

                Germany did not invade anything in May 1938.

                Martin
              • William C. Wormuth
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 8, 2011
                  The name is Mad'z~o [Mahdh-zho].  There is one listed in the Telefonny Zoznam:  http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj?co=telzoznam&id=100446125&net_alt=1&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&of=0&psc=0&s=Madzo&wht=detail&idHladania=26966735

                  Keller [Kehll-ehrr], is listed: http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj?co=telzoznam&id=100338603&net_alt=1&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&of=20&psc=0&s=Keller&wht=detail&idHladania=26966834

                  In 1922, Paula Madzo came to visit her cousin John Kristofek or Kristofik, in NY City. Most are from Vrbove and the rest from Csacso [Chah-choh] (Hungarian), C~ac~ov near Senica.

                  I have friends from Vrbove and a cousin in the area.  I will  try but the price is "do something nice for someone.:o) :o) :o)

                  Z Bohom

                  Vilo

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 8, 2011
                    You can read the info of the town Vrbove on: http://www.vrbove.sk/%c2%a0 The english version can be found by clicking on "eng", upper left of the page.

                    Z Bohom,

                    Vilo

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 8, 2011
                      Martin, I stand to be corrected. I am only repeating what I was told. Please tell us when did the Germans invade? You didn't hurt my feelings in the spring when you corrected my bad translation and asked who taught me how to translate. No I took it as a learning experience. Really if I am mistaken please correct me so I don't keep making the same mistake. May be this old couple has their facts mixed up and we will find a different date of departure.

                      Yes. I will admit that history isn't my strong suit and I threaten to continue doing bad Slovak to English translations just to bug you. Can I at least have a blue star for effort?

                      I work with some Russians. Two are exmilitary. When I tell them that the Russians invaded Czechoslovakia in 1968 they get really upset! They claim Russia came to the aid of the Czechoslovak Government. I guess it's all point of view.

                      Vilo, I am glad you are here to help. I thank you and if this works I will refer the Madzo family to send you the thank you. I teach their grandchildern bad Slovak. They are very curious about the old country. I think this would be good for all Madzo generations in both countries.

                      Milan

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 8, 2011
                        > when did the Germans invade?

                        When did Germany invade who?

                        Martin
                      • Nick Holcz
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 9, 2011
                          At , you wrote:

                          > > when did the Germans invade?
                          >
                          >When did Germany invade who?

                          Poland, Belgium, France etc etc
                          Nick

                          No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.
                          William Blake

                        • votrubam
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 9, 2011
                            > Poland, Belgium, France etc etc

                            You didn't ask the original question, Nick, and you know the answers to the above although you don't provide them. I'll wait for Milan to clarify what target area/country he had in mind when he said "in May 1938 when the Germans invaded."

                            Martin
                          • William C. Wormuth
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 9, 2011
                              Milan,

                              Milan is a favorite name to me in both sound and meaning and I hope you are not called Mylan [Myln], which frustrates me to no end.:o) :o) :o)

                              Vilo

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 9, 2011
                                Martin, I come to you with my hat in my hands. I seek the wisdom of the Pittsburg Slovaks when I ask: When did the Germans invade the Vrbove area of Czechoslovakia? Please don't make me ask three times. I already think you've been living to close to the steel mills for too long. Thanks again for the back ground info on maco! It was very intresting.

                                Vilo, I get any and all variations of pronounciations of Milan. I really didn't like it when Disney came out with the movie Mullan. Kids are Ruthless. Though entertaining!

                                I thought I was the only Milan on the planet until I went to college and Started meeting other Milans that were Yugoslavian. Then on one of my trips to Slovakia I visited the town of Illava. It seemed as if everyother person was named Milan. Even one person who's name was Emil. Prefered to be called Milan.

                                A little funny fact about North Americans: When I was growing up politically we were known as Czechoslovaks or the Czechs. I encountered Many that didn't know what or where that was. I was often refered to as the stupid German or that dam Rusky. No one seemed to know or care where Czechoslovakia was. It was no use educating them either.

                                I just want to add that I am not overly concerned about when the Germans invaded Vrbove. I was trying to narrow down the time frame of when the Madzos left so it may ring a bell with someone who was in Vrbove when they left. Can I have a blue star?

                                It's hard to work for bread!

                                Milan

                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 9, 2011
                                  Vilo, I have to ask. What does Milan mean to you? Italians tell me it means middle. Slavs tell me the root of the name is Milu. I think that means merciful? Come on Martin! Am going for a Gold star with this one!

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 9, 2011
                                    I believe Milan means Dear or Beloved

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 9, 2011
                                      > When did the Germans invade the Vrbove area of Czechoslovakia?

                                      Never. Wehrmacht units were dislocated in various parts of Slovakia beginning in March 1939 (-thirty-nine) through April 1945, but they were there by arrangement with the Slovak government, which was allied with Germany. There was no German invasion of Slovakia. (It is comparable to U.S. units being in Britain during World War II -- they were there through an arrangement with London, which was allied with the U.S., but the U.S. never "invaded" Britain.)

                                      Martin
                                    • Milan Olle
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 10, 2011
                                        Martin, thank you.